Penny's Passion: Bring on the Blackberries

Monday, July 14, 2014

Bring on the Blackberries

Saturday morning I popped out of bed ready to take control of the blackberries Eric picked on Thursday (mentioned on my Five on Friday post).  I knew my time was ticking to get the berries processed before they started going bad, so Saturday was my day.  I chose three recipes with blackberries got to work.

1.  Blackberry Preserves
No, I've never made preserves before and I was excited to give it a try.  It made me feel so "Martha Stewartish" purchasing the jars and pectin!  The Humbled Homemaker had an easy sounding recipe for Slow Cooker Blackberry Jam so that's the direction I headed.  Currently I have a crockpot full of "blackberry syrup" instead of preserves.  It tastes great so bring on the waffles!!  I'll have to try again next year to make this recipe turn into jam.
Slow Cooker Blackberry Jam

2.  Blackberry Cobbler
Epic win on this recipe -- I didn't even get a picture before we cut into it.  I've used this recipe before so I wasn't worried about how it would turn out.  Here's the ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour*
  • 1/3 cup milk, room temperature
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

  • Directions:
    In a 10-inch round or oval baking dish, melt 1/2 cup butter; set aside.  In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts, set aside.  Place flour in a mixing bowl, cut in remaining butter until fine crumbs form.  Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.  Turn out onto a floured surface, knead three or four times.  Roll out to a 11-inch x 9-inch rectangle 1/4 inch think.  Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon.  Roll up, jelly-roll style.  Cut into 1/4-inch think slices.  Carefully lay slices in baking dish over butter.  Pour sugar syrup around slices (syrup will be absorbed).  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.  Sprinkle sugar over top and bake 15 minutes more.  Serve warm or cold.  (*If self-rising flour is not available, use 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder.)  YUM!!
    3.  Blackberry Mint Spritzer
    I ran out of blackberries before I got to try this charming cocktail, but you better believe it's on my list to try.  Any time I can muddle some stuff together and have it turn out looking like this, it's a win.  Plus I've got oodles of mint in my tiny garden so what better way to use it than in a drink like this!  Click the link above for the recipe.

     Hope everyone had a great weekend!

    Linking up with Biana to chat about what happened this weekend.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment