Penny's Passion: What I Read in May 2023

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

What I Read in May 2023

Hey there!  Thanks for popping by Thinking Out Loud Thursday today.  It's the first Thursday of the month and that means I share the books I read the previous month.  Then I'll give you a chance to link up and tell us what you're thinking about today.


Our library book club book for the month was I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.  This tale invoked so many emotions in me.  I haven't read much of Maya Angelou's work and found this book to be wonderful.  It also sparked a good conversation at the book club.  Here's the summary from Amazon ~
Here is a book as joyous and painful, as mysterious and memorable, as childhood itself. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings captures the longing of lonely children, the brute insult of bigotry, and the wonder of words that can make the world right. Maya Angelou’s debut memoir is a modern American classic beloved worldwide.

Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local “powhitetrash.” At eight years old and back at her mother’s side in St. Louis, Maya is attacked by a man many times her age—and has to live with the consequences for a lifetime. Years later, in San Francisco, Maya learns that love for herself, the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors (“I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare”) will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned.

Poetic and powerful, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read.

I spent way too long reading The Clover Girls.  It was free on Kindle Unlimited and someone, somewhere, said this was a good book.  For me, it was just a strong okay.  My expectation was high and I kept thinking it was going to get better, but in the 392 pages, it was just stayed okay.  Here's the summary ~
Elizabeth, Veronica, Rachel and Emily met at Camp Birchwood as girls in 1985, where over four summers they were the Clover Girls—inseparable for those magical few weeks of freedom—until the last summer that pulled them apart. Now approaching middle age, the women are facing challenges they never imagined as teens, struggles with their marriages, their children, their careers, and wondering who it is they see when they look in the mirror.

Then Liz, V and Rachel each receive a letter from Emily with devastating news. She implores the girls who were once her best friends to reunite at Camp Birchwood one last time, to spend a week together revisiting the dreams they’d put aside and repair the relationships they’d allowed to sour. But the women are not the same idealistic, confident girls who once ruled Camp Birchwood, and perhaps some friendships aren’t meant to last forever…

I listened to Go as a River by Shelley Read and absolutely loved it!  It reminded me a lot of Where the Crawdads Sing.  It was a lovely story and I was sad when it ended.  Not because the ending was sad, but because the book was over.  I hope they make this one into a movie.  Here's the summary ~
Seventeen-year-old Victoria Nash runs the household on her family’s peach farm in the small ranch town of Iola, Colorado―the sole surviving female in a family of troubled men. Wilson Moon is a young drifter with a mysterious past, displaced from his tribal land and determined to live as he chooses.

Victoria encounters Wil by chance on a street corner, a meeting that profoundly alters both of their young lives, unknowingly igniting as much passion as danger. When tragedy strikes, Victoria leaves the only life she has ever known. She flees into the surrounding mountains where she struggles to survive in the wilderness with no clear notion of what her future will bring. As the seasons change, she also charts the changes in herself, finding in the beautiful but harsh landscape the meaning and strength to move forward and rebuild all that she has lost, even as the Gunnison River threatens to submerge her homeland―its ranches, farms, and the beloved peach orchard that has been in her family for generations.

Inspired by true events surrounding the destruction of the town of Iola in the 1960s, Go as a River is a story of deeply held love in the face of hardship and loss, but also of finding courage, resilience, friendship, and, finally, home―where least expected. This stunning debut explores what it means to lead your life as if it were a river―gathering and flowing, finding a way forward even when a river is dammed.


My monthly reading was closed out with Looking for Lovely by Annie F. Downs.  I've read other books by Annie and loved them all.  I had high expectations for this one and it certainly didn't let me down.  Annie F. Downs has a way of saying things that touch my heart.  Her words make me think about how I'm living my life.  Her words are good for my soul!  Highly recommend getting this book and letting it touch your soul too.
“I want you to take every step of your life with excitement for where you are headed. And I want you to feel beautiful and confident as you do.” But how? When the enemy whispers lies that you are not smart enough, pretty enough, or rich enough? Or you are too dumb, too loud, too quiet, too thin, too fat, too much or not enough? What if you don’t have what it takes to be who you really want to be? In Looking for Lovely, Annie F. Downs shares personal stories, biblical truth, and examples of how others have courageously walked the path God paved for their lives by remembering all God had done, loving what was right in front of them, and seeing God in the everyday—whether that be nature, friends, or the face they see in the mirror. Intensely personal, yet incredibly powerful, Looking for Lovely will spark transformative conversations and life changing patterns. No matter who we are and what path God has us on, we all need to look for lovely, fight to finish, and find beautiful in our every day!

Now it's your turn - what are you thinking out loud about today?  Link up and share!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

  1. These sound like such great books! I have never read anything by Maya Angelou and I really need to rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always appreciate good book recommendations! Thanks for hosting this link party, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete