Penny's Passion: Fourth of July Wood Block Project

Monday, June 23, 2014

Fourth of July Wood Block Project

With the Fourth of July holiday quickly approaching, I decided it was time to get in gear with decorating the mantle for this holiday.  Amazingly, the whole mantle came together in about an hour (all the while an episode of OITNB was going in the background).  I love multi-tasking!

Straight from something I saw on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to make U, S, and A blocks for the mantle.  I had previously purchased a piece of wood at Home Depot and had them cut it into chunks.  Love, love, love the fact they will do this for free!  Out of one piece of lumber that cost around $4, they cut approximate 16 pieces of wood.  And as a bonus you can haul all the pieces out of the store in a bag instead of needing a vehicle that can accommodate a 6-foot board.

To start, simply paint three chunks of wood.  Luckily, one coat of paint did the trick covering the wood.


As the paint dried, I die cut the letters "U", "S" and "A" with my Silhouette Cameo.  Seriously, I can not say enough about how much I love this machine.  It is definitely something I would take with me if I could only take five items and move to an island.  While the machine was doing it's magic, I cut square pieces of scrapbook paper 1/2" small than my block of wood. 

When the Silhouette finished cutting, spray adhesive was used to attach the letters to the scrapbook paper.  Then, with a little Modge Podge, the paper was attached to the block. 


'

Viola!  In the span of time it takes to watch one episode of OITNB, you too can make this fun block set.  I'll show you the entire mantle this Friday in my Five on Friday post.
 
 
Linking to Serenity Now




No comments:

Post a Comment