Penny's Passion: Tuscan Tortellini Soup

Monday, February 2, 2015

Tuscan Tortellini Soup


A cold, winter day is the perfect time for fixing a hearty soup -- and I stumbled upon this recipe from Damn Delicious which fit that bill.  On Saturday when the girls came over for lunch, I whipped up a batch and it was a hit!

Want the recipe?  Well say no more -- here you go:

Tuscan Tortellini Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed 
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 cups chicken stock
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup croutons

Instructions
~ Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add Italian sausage (I used mild instead of spicy) to the skillet and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.  Stir in garlic and onion.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.

~Whisk in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Bring to a boil and stir in tortellini; reduce heat and simmer until tortellini is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.

~Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan until well combined and heated through, about 2-3 minutes.

~Serve immediately, garnished with croutons, if desired (I desired).

I scooped this robust soup into bowls and topped it with grated Parmesan cheese and croutons.  We enjoyed it with a loaf of crusty bread and salad.  Perfect lunch!!


This soup literally takes about 30 minutes from start to serve.  It was an excellent choice for lunch with the girls on Saturday and it would be an equally excellent choice for a quick dinner after a busy day because it came together easily and tasted FANTASTIC!  

Look at this thick wonderfulness!
I'm excited to check out other recipes from Damn Delicious.  If they are anything like this one, they will be wonderful.  We will definitely be enjoying this recipe again.  Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Handmade Tuesday's with Kristen
Let's Be Friends Blog Hop with The Dwelling Tree
Green Fashionista and Martinis & Bikinis: Recipe Swap
Eat Drink & Be Mary: Delicious Dish Tuesday
Love From The Kitchen: Tuesday's Table
The Diary of a Real Housewife

21 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I pinned it to my FOODS-Soup board on Pinterest. I'm going to give it a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so rich on taste with all the different spices. It looks like a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add garlic bread and it's the perfect lunch. I found your recipe over at the Tuesday’s Table link party. I host Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday and would love it if you would come over and share this recipe. I’m sure our party goers would love it! Here is the link http://bit.ly/16dDSZL. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looooove soup especially this time of year, this looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to have this for dinner! A thirty minute prep time is perfect for when I come home late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES, you posted the recipe! I was so drooling over this from your weekending post! I am totally making this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried any damn delicious recipes, but my friends have and tell me they're really good. this soup looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make something very similar...and very often! It's such a rustic, comforting dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmmmmm My gramma use to make something similar to this too. mmmmm I can almost smell the tortellini now yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Tortellini soup looks so good. thank you for sharing your recipe. I'll definitely give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so good. I love cooking with tortellini because it's so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never had this kind of soup before i love my tomato soup through and through but lately been waiting soup with bits so been using sausage a lot and i love calling it my sausage soup its awesome

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never had a soup like this before. To be honest we don't really make a lot of soups at home but I'm so trying this during winter! Sounds very comforting especially since I will be highly pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh ... I want this NOW! If I wasn't leaving on a trip I'd be on my way to the grocery store to get these ingredients. It truly looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks awesome! Am pinning as we love a great hearty soup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at soup. I love any kind of soup, but I also love tortellini.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! This looks really delicious! We've been eating a lot of soup this winter. It's the perfect meal for a cold day or night.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh this looks absolutely wonderful. I adore tortellini and Italian sausage and what a pair. Yum. I need this now and I had to pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love Tortellini. This soup looks scrumptious, for certain one I would serve my family for Sunday dinner. I would leave out the croutons though, because I prefer fresh Italian bread.

    ReplyDelete