Penny's Passion: Thinking Out Loud Thursday -- Ian's Graduating!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Thinking Out Loud Thursday -- Ian's Graduating!

Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday!  So glad you popped in to visit me and Vanessa from X-tremely V!

Today I'm sitting here thinking about how immensely proud I am of my son, Ian.  My one-and-only child, my baby, my friend, is graduating from law school today.  I'm so overjoyed that Ian has conquered law school and reached this amazing milestone in his life!



When Ian was about four and you asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, he would proudly tell you he wanted to be a juggler.  As a mom, I knew I would wholeheartedly support whatever he chose to be ~ but I was secretly hoping that juggling would become more of a hobby and less of a career.  Side note:  For Christmas that year I gave Ian a nice set of juggling balls.  He never was able to master keeping three balls in the air at one time.  Hence, juggler would have been a VERY tough career path for him.



By middle school if asked the same question, he would respond that he wanted to be a lawyer.  As a mom, I secretly hoped this career choice would stick.  And stick it did.  Tonight he will walk across the stage and receive his diploma as I sit in the audience trying not to let the tears of joy spill over onto my cheeks.

As you may have read on my blog before, I was a single mom from the time Ian was two until I married Eric when he was ten.  We definitely weren't rich in a financial way, but we made up for it by loving big and making the most out of what we had.  Ian has held a part-time job since turning 16, including all through college and law school.  He has gotten where he is through hard work and determination, not hand outs or free rides.  This makes me even more proud of his graduation accomplishment.



Everywhere you look you can see studies saying children of divorced families are less likely to achieve academic success, but I was determined that my child was not going to be one of those statistics.  Single moms - your children don't have to be a part of those statistics either.  Just be as active in your child's life as you can be.  Be the parent who reviews their homework with them, attends school functions, asks (and listens) to how their day went.  It's not easy, but the rewards are worth it.  Most of the world will give you reasons why kids of single parents are at a disadvantage, but don't listen!  You can do it!



Another person I'm extremely proud of today and who is also reaching a huge milestone is Ian's wife, Kayla.  She and Ian got married during his first year of law school.  She has been there listening to his trials and tribulations from the very beginning of this journey and has done an excellent job supporting him throughout.  I personally know what it's like to support a student.  Ian's biological father and I got married just before he started dental school and I worked while he went to school.  The spouse is the unsung hero in this type of situation.  Even though Ian will be the one having the diploma placed in his hand, Kayla certainly deserves one as well.



This summer Ian has much more studying to do to prepare for the bar, his academical life is coming to an end for now.  Which means life as we have become accustomed to for the last three years will be ending.  I'm looking forward to this next phase in which Ian and Kayla are both working and doing things young married couples do such as saving for a house and going on vacations.  Conversations will no longer be centered around when he has a paper due or which final will be the most challenging.  Change can be good -- and this one is certainly making me smile!



Now it's your turn.  What are you thinking out loud about today?  Do you have a graduate in your family this year?  Are you a graduate yourself?!?  Join me and Vanessa at X-tremely V by linking up your favorite post(s) from the week.  We love hearing from you! 




Enjoy more Thoughts for Thursday at

8 comments:

  1. How happy I am for you to be able to have these memories and to see your son achieve his goals. You are one proud mama and have earned the right to say so. Amazing testimony Penny for all single moms, parents together and students alike that hard work pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your family on this great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, congrats to you, your son and his wife! That is such a huge step :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you Penny and congrats to your son! You obviously set a great example. What a great success story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so wonderful for your son. And a big accomplishment for you too! My little sister graduated two weeks ago. It was crazy that my little sis could be that old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Law school? WOW!! congrats! Huge accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Ian - what type of law does he want to practice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your son. Sounds like you raised a good guy.

    ReplyDelete