Penny's Passion: Thinking Out Loud Thursday - May 5, 2016

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Thinking Out Loud Thursday - May 5, 2016

Happy Thursday!  So glad you stopped by our Thinking Out Loud link up today.  I know many of you are thinking about Cinco de Mayo today, but my mind is still on an adorable gender reveal party I threw on Monday night for a few friends.

From the minute Lauren announced she was expecting, my hope was she would let me throw a little gender reveal party for our friends.  I was giddy with excitement when she said yes!  So, the planning was on.  She and her husband, Justin, had their own party for family so this one was just for our little group of ladies.  This group typically gets together on Monday nights to watch The Bachelor/Bachelorette, so I thought a Monday night would be appropriate for our party.  But I also knew that I would be coming home straight from work and wouldn't have a ton of time to get things together.  For those of you who are worried about putting a party together, there are tons of things you can do for a quick and simple party set up.  Don't let the thought of not having enough time deter you from having parties!!  

I popped this little sign in my wreath on the front door to welcome the guests.  Love to set the tone right when people get to the house.  Oh - and I'm in love with the font used on this sign.  It's call Bromello and it's free over HERE.


I knew I wanted the reveal to be something everyone could participate in so the popper idea won out.  These little babies were honestly quite easy to put together.  I ordered the cake poppers from HERE,  After some test runs, I decided the best way to hide what was inside was by spray painting the inside of the lids white and wrapping the tube in wrapping paper.  The filling was layered with a small piece of white tissue paper (so no peeking at the bottom would reveal the color inside), colored shredded crinkle paper, and confetti.  Pack it all in there tight and pop on the lid.  They turned out pretty adorable, if I must say so myself.



Pink and blue food was next on my planning list.  Cupcakes were easy to order and so were the macaroons.  I dipped Oreos (the Birthday Cake flavored ones are my new fave) in pink and blue candy melts.  Big hit!  With the addition of a couple savory snacks the food was complete.



The table was covered with a white tablecloth and lace overlay.  Add in pink and blue tulle bows and some baby's breath and viola!  DONE.  Seriously, laying the table out took less than 30 minutes.  





Over the weekend I had whipped up a pink and blue banner to go across the mantle and added a cute little baby shoe I picked up at the Vintage Market on Saturday.  





After filling our plates from the snack table, each guest was given pink and blue paint chips I had picked up at Home Depot and were asked to write down baby names Lauren and Justin should consider.  It was fun hearing everyone's suggestions and laughing at what certain names made us think of.  You know, like the name of your first boyfriend or the kid that was a bully on the playground.  It's amazing how your past experiences influence what you name your child!

We went through a list of old wives' tales to see what they predicted the gender to be.  Girl won out over Boy 9 to 2.  



Lauren played along while we swung a string with her wedding ring attached over her belly.  Old Wives' tale says if the string swings in a circle, it's a boy and if it goes side to side, it's a girl.  It didn't take but a second before the string was going side to side!



Then it was time for the poppers!  On the count of three it was revealed Lauren and Justin are expecting a GIRL!!  Yay!!  



At the end of the evening, each guest got to take home a cupcake with pink icing inside a white box with pink ribbon.  



Congratulations Lauren and Justin -- I'm so looking forward to meeting your daughter and watching her grow up!



Now it's your turn - join me and Vanessa at X-tremely V by linking up your favorite post(s) from the week.  We love hearing from you! 





Enjoy more Thoughts for Thursday at

15 comments:

  1. What beautiful party decorations! You really went all out. I also love that font. Congratulations! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! i love the popper idea. How lucky she is to have a sweet friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how everything is decorated, it is so pretty. Thanks for sharing. It looks like it was a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I love this! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a truly lovely party! Best wishes to the new family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all the decor. Such a pretty party!! :) The oreos look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute gender reveal party. So funny the old wives tales and wedding ring predicted right! I love all the decorations and favors. congrats to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so fun! I love the popper ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fantastic party! The cupcakes to take home - wonderful idea! Happy Mother's Day to you Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun party! I love the activities/games!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That party looks like so much fun! I LOVED the banner (I made a similar one for my classroom), and I love how you decorated. Turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww... Looks like it was a WONDERFUL party!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to the couple. You did a wonderful job with the décor.

    ReplyDelete