Family Circle is one (of the many) magazines I subscribe to and each month find a helpful hint or recipe that's fantastic. You can pick up a subscription from Amazon for $5! Click the link to start enjoying it for yourself.
But back to the recipe ~
Here's What You Need
1 box (1 pound) cavatappi
6 slices bacon, sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups 2 percent milk
1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup shredded colby-Jack cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
Here's What You Do1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart broiler-safe dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Cook cavatappi 8 minutes in boiling water, then drain. Meanwhile, in medium-size saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels. Carefully pour off drippings, returning 2 tablespoons to pan. Add butter.
3. Whisk in flour until smooth. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in onion flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. In large bowl, toss together cheddar, Colby-Jack and mozzarella.
4. Remove milk mixture from heat; whisk in American cheese and 1 and 1/4 cups of the cheddar mixture. Toss bacon pieces with remaining shredded cheese.
5. In pasta pot, combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the bacon-cheese mixture. Repeat layering.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil and broil 3 minutes until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Stay warm out there!
|Non Stick Skillet|
Handmade Tuesday's with Kristen