Penny's Passion: Total Eclipse of the Sun

Monday, August 21, 2017

Total Eclipse of the Sun

Happy Eclipse Day!  Since this eclipse that's swinging through the St. Louis area today doesn't come around very often, I thought it would be fun to mark the occasion with a goody bag for some of my friends at work.

I have to be honest, this project almost didn't happen.  Eric and I were supposed to get back to St. Louis from our trip to Paris on Saturday, but because of flight issues we were stranded in Minneapolis overnight and didn't get home until Sunday.  We left Paris over two hours late and I knew we would be cutting it close on our connection out of Minneapolis to St. Louis.  I honestly wasn't that worried about it because I knew there was also a later flight that could get us back home.  It was a shock when I saw Delta had booked us on a flight the following day.  When we talked to the ticket agent, she said all the flights to St. Louis were sold out because people were flying here to get closer to the total eclipse!

Using my Silhouette made this a quick project, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to mark this occasion.  I die cut the smiling sun design with cute little glasses and glued it on a brown paper bag.  It was perfect since most of us will be looking at the sun through goofy cardboard glasses today.  If you are one of them, please make sure your glasses are the real thing and not the fake ones.  We don't want anyone going blind!

If you don't have a pair of the special eclipse glasses, making a pin box is another alternative to seeing this historic event.  Click HERE for instructions and a video on how to make one.


Inside the bag went a few items with solar system related names - Capri Sun, Starbust, Milk Ways and Eclipse gum.  Moon Pies would have been perfect, but I waited a tad bit too long to pick them up and couldn't find them anywhere.  I bet the company that makes them will have record sales this quarter!


 A strip of washi tape sealed the bag shut.


And just like that the project was complete!  Hope you have a fantastic eclipse day.  Don't forget to look for Mars, Mercury, Jupiter and Venus during the totality.



9 comments:

  1. These goody bags are so cute! Such a great idea! It also makes me miss having coworkers. I work from home, so I only interact with my coworkers through IM unless we are getting together for quarterly meetings. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those goody bags are so cute! I'm so glad that you will be able to see the eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute goody bags! It's going to be cloudy here for the eclipse.
    Beth
    The Beth Next Door

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for goodie bags. I don't know anyone who had an eclipse party but Im going to have to remember this for the next one, even if Im making them for my grandkids by then! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Those goody bags are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever are these! Just watched the eclipse earlier here in Denver - it was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, I love this idea! They had moon pies where I worked today. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Minnesota it was cloudy so I saw nothing. It was a bummer for my 8 year old.

    ReplyDelete