Penny's Passion: Thinking Out Loud Thursday - September 21, 2023

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Thinking Out Loud Thursday - September 21, 2023

Hello! Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday where I share something on my mind and invite you to link up and do the same.
 
Sixty-four days ago my world was rocked when my dad passed away.  Today would have been his 85th birthday.  Today will be a day spent thinking about him.


Grief is a funny thing. You can be perfectly fine then out of nowhere, the overwhelming feeling of sadness stops you in your tracks.  I never dreamed that in May when we attended a wedding with my family he would be gone such a short time later.  It’s so true what they say – you never know how much time you have left with people.  Don’t waste it!
 




I was lucky to be able to spend my dad's last few days with him and had the opportunity to witness several of his friends stopping by to see him. A few were so honest and raw. Saying goodbye to someone who is dying can be an incredibly difficult and emotional experience. It's important to approach this moment with sensitivity, empathy, and understanding. His friends told him the ways he had touched their lives and thanked him for the things he had done. They told him goodbye. I’ve never really done that, but the friends who did that for my dad were great examples of how I hope to be if and when I’m confronted with losing someone. 
 
There are so many people who carried me through the time leading up to and through his funeral.  Friends brought food, sent cards and gifts, and checked in to make sure I had what I needed.  I’ve found that writing the thank you notes is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  Each one makes me cry and crying is, frankly, something I’ve been trying hard not to do.  So if you’re one of those friends who hasn’t gotten a thank you note yet, it’s coming.  It’s just taking me a bit longer than I wish it would.

Today will be hard.  Thankfully I have so many happy memories to fall back on.  Happy birthday in heaven Dad! 

Now it's your turn - what are you thinking out loud about today?  Link up and share.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I hope this difficult day will be filled with good memories for you. It sounds like you were so blessed to have a wonderful father and a great relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete