Penny's Passion: Trip to Savannah and Tybee Island - Part 2

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Trip to Savannah and Tybee Island - Part 2

Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday where I talk about something I'm thinking about and invite you to link up and do the same.

Last Thursday I posted about a recent trip to Savannah and Tybee Island (found HERE). Today I’m continuing with our second full day in Savannah and up to our arrival on Tybee Island.

Wednesday morning, we got up ready to walk the streets and see some more of Savannah! When we went to the hotel lobby to check out, guess what we saw. A pirate! Right there in our lobby was a pirate, drinking out of a flask, first thing in the morning. Oh, the life of a pirate!


We crossed over the love lock bridge on our way to breakfast and I spotted a lock from St. Louis! These kinds of bridges always intrigue me and I love reading the things people write on their locks.



There were a couple spots we saw on the trolley tour we had taken the day before that we wanted to return to for a more up-close view. One of them was the iconic fountain in Forsyth Park. This fountain sits in a 30-acre park in the historic district of the city. Besides the fountain, there you can find walking paths, a children’s play area, a fragrant garden for the blind, and other recreational areas.  We sat down on a bench near the fountain and just soaked it all up!


From there, we walked over to the Mercer Williams House Museum. As soon as we decided to go to Savannah, I picked up the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Have you read the book or seen the movie? It’s basically about a murder that took place in this very house. During the tour, you actually get to stand in the room where the crime was committed! If you haven’t read the book, I recommend it. It has a lot of detail the movie skips over.



After the house tour (and shopping in the gift shop), we walked to a bookstore that was on both my and Linda’s list of things we wanted to do on our trip. If you like bookstores at all, the E. Shaver bookstore is one you need to visit! It’s absolutely adorable! 


Inside, besides a ton of books, we found a couple of their resident cats curled up amongst the books.


They also have a typewriter set up in a quaint little corner where you can type a message and pin it to the wall. How adorable is that!



On our way to the spot we were having lunch, we passed another bookstore and had to go in. The Book Lady Bookstore is also one you should hit if you’re a bookstore lover.



We had planned lunch at Paula Dean’s restaurant, The Lady and Sons. Guys, I’ll be honest – it was not that great. It was ok at best. The gift store was cute, but I’d skip the restaurant and eat someplace else. Even the desserts weren’t worth the calories.  Big disappointment!

 
Savannah is such a walkable city we decided to not get a rental car until we were ready to head to the beach portion of our vacation. After lunch on Wednesday, we went back to the hotel to gather our luggage and took an Uber to the airport to pick up our rental.
 
The next part of the trip to Tybee Island was fantastic! Stay tuned. I’ll cover that in a future post!

Now it’s your turn – what are you thinking out loud about today? Link up and share!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

  1. My dads wife years ago was 1st in line for that Paula deens. She loved it, my sister and dad not so much. I hear her one in branson is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad that the restaurant was a disappointment but that fountain and those bookstores do look fabulous! I have never read (or watched!) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil but it sounds like one I should definitely pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your time in hosting, my entries for this week: #25-26

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip! I love the bookstores. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete