Penny's Passion: Weekending - June 9, 2023

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Weekending - June 9, 2023

Oh, what a weekend! After work on Friday, I drove to my friend’s house to begin girls’ weekend. The two friends I was spending the weekend with, Sharyn and Linda, have been a part of my life since grade school. They are so special to me and I appreciate having friends in my life that I’ve known for over 50 years!


Friday night Sharyn spoiled us by making dinner. We dined on spaghetti with homemade sauce, salad, and garlic bread. Linda had picked up a strawberry rhubarb pie since it was National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day. We couldn’t let a holiday like that pass by without celebrating! Sharyn’s daughter was home from college and she and her boyfriend also joined us. It was a great feeling to be sitting around the table listening to them talk about their first year in college and plans for the summer.

 
We had a little incident when we were opening the wine and might have accidentally sprayed it all over their ceiling. I’ll be sharing a product on Friday that worked wonders at taking red wine out of a white t-shirt!

After dinner, out came the games! We played one of my favorites – Catch Phrase! It was so interesting that some of the phrases we parents knew immediately, the college kids had never heard of! A new Crumbl Cookie store recently opened near our house and I picked up a box to bring over. They were a great late-night snack!


Saturday morning Sharyn made the most scrumptious French Toast Casserole! I immediately asked for the recipe and will attempt to make it as good as she did. If I master it, I’ll share the recipe on the blog. Breakfast casseroles are so wonderful to serve when you have overnight guests!

We were off to a local festival in the afternoon. The second annual Bourbon and Brews was being held in Cottlleville and we had tickets to the sold-out event. Sharyn’s husband made an excellent chauffeur taking us to the event and picking us up when we were ready to return home.

 
Besides numerous samples of bourbon and beer available, there was also great entertainment. We enjoyed listening to the music as much as we did the samples. I’m not a bourbon fan, but the best one I tried was the Knob Creek Smoked Maple.


When we got hungry, we decided to walk to a cute restaurant we had spotted on our way to the festival. We meandered our way down the street visiting several adorable shops until we arrived at our destination. Plank Road Pizza was delicious! We each got a personal-size pizza and salad, which was great because we could each get exactly what we wanted on our pie.  It’s on my list to go back with Eric.

Plank Road Pizza

Our “chauffeur” picked us up after lunch and we spent the rest of the afternoon in their pool relaxing. Sharyn grilled for dinner and again, she outdid herself. Another delicious meal! We ate outside and finished just before the rain began.

Once inside, we busted out the games again! Saturday night we play two more of my favorites, Quixx and Roll For It.


Sunday morning for breakfast I had the pleasure of trying something I’d never had before – Kolaches. Why had I never heard of these before?!? Just in case I’m not the only person who hadn’t heard of them, they are a pastry that made their way to the US in the mid-to-late 1800s by the Czech settlers. They had savory and sweet flavors. I tried the egg, bacon, and cheese one and the sausage gravy one. Both were so delicious! Now I’m wanting to try all the flavors! It’s incredible the things you learn at girls’ weekend!

American Kolache

We wrapped up our time together by doing a little retail therapy on Main Street in St. Charles. That area has so many adorable shops. Our favorite was the spice shop, Olde Town Spice Shoppe, and we all walked out carrying a bag of goodies. I got a pineapple crème brulee kit I can’t wait to make!

Before wrapping up our time together, we grabbed a late lunch at The Main Street restaurant. We ordered a few appetizers and shared them. Honestly, I love ordering like that because you get to try a little bit of several things.

The Main Street

On my way home, I swung by another friend of mine’s house to meet her 2-year-old granddaughter. Her daughter’s family was visiting from Hong Kong and it was so wonderful to see them! I helped with their wedding seven years ago! And their little girl is precious! Before I left, the whole family was at her house so I got a chance to see them all. Totally made my day!

Sunday evening we had dinner with our son and daughter-in-law at one of our favorite pizza places, Dewey’s. It was the perfect way to wrap up the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment