Penny's Passion: Five on Friday - January 26, 2024

Friday, January 26, 2024

Five on Friday - January 26, 2024

Can you believe this is already the last weekend in January!?!  This month went by in a blur.  Now on to the last Five on Friday for the month ~

Robyn Carr's latest book came out this week and it sounds like a great vacation read to me.  You might recognize the author, Robyn Carr.  She's the author of The Virgin River series.  I didn't read those books, but I love the show so I'm hoping I'll love this book too.  Here is the summary ~
Celebrity cooking show host Marni McGuire has seen it all. She’s been married—twice—and widowed and divorced. Now in her mid-fifties, she’s single. Happily so. She just needs to convince her pregnant daughter, Bella, of this fact. And maybe convince herself, too. Especially after Marni’s efforts to humor her determined daughter result in a series of disastrous dates that somehow prompt Marni to wonder if maybe the right man for her is still out there after all.

Similarly single, Marni’s best friend and colleague is confident she’s content without a man, but both older women soon find themselves leading by example as the young intern on their show appears caught in a toxic relationship—and Bella reveals her own marriage maybe isn’t built to withstand the stresses of the baby on the way.

Suddenly, all four women find themselves at a crossroads, each navigating the challenges of dating, marriage, loneliness and love. Thankfully, they have each other to lean on. The realities of modern love are far from easy, but there’s no better group to have in your corner than friends who will lift you up, no matter what, and hold fast in the face of any storm.
Available HERE

A couple weeks ago I ordered this rotating makeup organizer from Amazon.  I was beginning to think it was never going to be delivered.  And then it arrived and the wait was so worth it!  I typically have makeup and brushes all over my bathroom sink.  This handy spinner is just the right size, holds all my stuff, and makes the counter look so much better!  It comes in a couple colors.  Mine is cream with the gold little feet.  I'm thinking about getting another one to put on my nightstand for my hand lotion, lip balm, reading glasses, etc.  Love it!

Available HERE

3.  Oscar Nominations
The Oscar nominations came out this week and we always try to see the movies up for Best Picture.  We have a ways to go this year!  Of the 10 movies nominated, our count for the ones we've seen is 3-1/2.  The 1/2 was Maestro.  We were halfway through and I just needed a break.  The half I saw I didn't love. The three whole movies we've seen are Barbie, The Holdovers, and Oppenheimer. The show airs on March 10 and will be hosted for a fourth time by Jimmy Kimmel.  How many of the movies have you seen?  

Best Picture

American Fiction (Ben LeClair, Nikos Karamigios, Cord Jefferson and Jermaine Johnson, Producers)
Anatomy of a Fall (Marie-Ange Luciani and David Thion, Producers)
Barbie (David Heyman, Margot Robbie, Tom Ackerley and Robbie Brenner, Producers)
The Holdovers (Mark Johnson, Producer)
Killers of the Flower Moon (Dan Friedkin, Bradley Thomas, Martin Scorsese and Daniel Lupi, Producers)
Maestro (Bradley Cooper, Steven Spielberg, Fred Berner, Amy Durning and Kristie Macosko Krieger, Producers)
Oppenheimer (Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan, Producers)
Past Lives (David Hinojosa, Christine Vachon and Pamela Koffler, Producers)
Poor Things (Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, Yorgos Lanthimos and Emma Stone, Producers)
The Zone of Interest (James Wilson, Producer)

4.  The Many Lives of Martha Stewart
I'm pretty pumped about CNN's new original series called The Many Lives of Martha Stewart.  The series has four parts.  The first two episodes are airing this Sunday and two episodes are coming the following Sunday, February 4.  The names of the episodes are so cute:  Setting the Table, Crafting an Empire, In Hot Water, and The Comeback.  Can't wait to soak up all the Martha!


5.  What's going on around here?


Have a fabulous weekend!  I have a little bit of Valentine's decorating to do and then I'm packing for a girls' trip I'm taking next week.  See you back here next week!


3 comments:

  1. January seems to have really dragged for me, I am ready for it to be February already!!
    I love the sound of that book and the make up organiser is something I need in my life, it's so pretty and useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few Robyn Carr books before and enjoyed them a lot; this one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet daddy used to say the same thing about the mirror. Except he saw a balding old man. Now I know what he was talking about. You're some weird, gray-haired old lady in mine. We haven't seen many movies this year either. Not many were worth watching in our opinion. Loved Barbie though.

    ReplyDelete