Penny's Passion: Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Monday, August 24, 2015

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

If you read my Weekending post from yesterday, you know that Saturday night we had Ian and Kayla over for dinner.  I decided to go a little retro and fix something that I hadn't made in years - Chicken Enchilada Casserole.  If you like cheese, this is the recipe for you!

chicken

This recipe was in a church cookbook circa 1980 and I've adapted it a couple times over the years.  The thought of blogging this recipe didn't come to me until well into the prep, so please forgive my lack of pictures.

Here's What You Need
About 2 pounds of chicken (I used boneless breasts)
Corn or Flour Tortillas
1 cup sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 Tbsp. taco sauce (I use mild, but if you like heat go for the hot)
1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese (yes, that lb. means pound, as in 16 ounces)
1 lb. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 - 4 oz. cans green chili peppers (diced)
2 Tbsp. (or more) chopped green onion

Here's What You Do
Cook chicken in salted water in a large cooking pot until tender.  As soon as it cools enough for you to touch it, shred it up.

In a bowl, mix together shredded chicken, sour cream, chicken soup, diced green chilies and taco sauce.

Place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into a tortilla, roll up and place in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.  Continue until the baking dish is full.  I usually get the large tortillas and use 7 out of the 8 in the package.  If you roll them pretty tight, you could easily use all 8.  (It was at this point that I realized I was going to blog this recipe, so let the pictures begin.)


Spread remaining chicken mixture over the top of the tortillas.


Spread the cheeses over the top.  I usually alternate between the cheddar and Monterey Jack.  It's a lot of cheese guys, so just push it down a little if you have to.


Sprinkle the chopped green onion on the cheese.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes.


While the casserole is in the oven, you can whip up some Spanish rice and beans and you are all set for your Mexican fiesta!  Óle!


Handmade Tuesday's with Kristen

17 comments:

  1. Your enchiladas look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TryaBiteTuesday, pinned and sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old recipes which have been fine tuned over the years, this looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks delicious. Will be trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! I can't get over it how easy it looks.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks delicious enough to eat right off the computer. I just pinned your recipe. Thanks and have a lovely day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! My family would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks SO good. My husband loves enchiladas so I think it would be a bit hit at our house. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these soound so good! going to have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinned for later, Yum! Looks perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love cheese, so this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pinning! Sounds amazing and looks like it will feed a good amount of people so will make next time we have guests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM. Excuse me while I lick the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG this looks like such an easy weekday dinner meal! My fiancé and I are moving into our new home in a few months, so we're very much looking forward to cooking! Bookmarking this for later! xoxox, Kayla www.lostgenygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried this last night and loved it! :) Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Talk - I'm featuring it in tomorrow's post!
    Have a great Monday!
    Katie
    www.sweetlittleonesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! I will definitely have to try this the next time we have another couple over for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete