Penny's Passion: Five on Friday - August 9, 2024

Thursday, August 8, 2024

Five on Friday - August 9, 2024

Hope you're having a great Friday!  I'm so happy you stopped by to see my five for today.  Let's take a look ~

1.  Yuka app
I might be the last person on earth to learn about this app, but just in case you haven't heard of it I want to share.  Yuka is a free app that allows you to scan the bar code from any food or cosmetic product and get an instant item rating.  It rates the item on a scale from 1-100 and says whether it's excellent, bad, or something in between.  There's even a breakdown of why it was rated the way it was.  Yuka is a 100% independent application.  This means the product analysis and recommendations are entirely objective.  They receive no funding from brands or manufacturers.  I've been a scanning fool this week and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon!


2.  It Ends With Us
Colleen Hoover's best-selling book It Ends With Us is making its movie debut this weekend!  I for one can't wait to see it!  The leading lady, Lily, is being played by Blake Lively.  If you see the movie and haven't read the book, there's a second book in the series titled It Starts With Us you might want to add to your reading list.  Here's the summary of the movie ~
IT ENDS WITH US, the first Colleen Hoover novel adapted for the big screen, tells the compelling story of Lily Bloom (Blake Lively), a woman who overcomes a traumatic childhood to embark on a new life in Boston and chase a lifelong dream of opening her own business. A chance meeting with charming neurosurgeon Ryle Kincaid (Justin Baldoni) sparks an intense connection, but as the two fall deeply in love, Lily begins to see sides of Ryle that remind her of her parents’ relationship. When Lily’s first love, Atlas Corrigan (Brandon Sklenar), suddenly reenters her life, her relationship with Ryle is upended, and Lily realizes she must learn to rely on her own strength to make an impossible choice for her future.
There's a new dress in my closet and I love it!  The fabric has a nice breathable, comfortable feel.  It can be worn with sandals, heels, or sneakers.  As a bonus, it has one of my favorite features - POCKETS.  I'm going to be wearing it on repeat for the rest of summer and into the fall!  There are a ton of colors available so I'm sure you can find one perfect for you.


My love for bookstores runs deep!  I try to find an Indie bookshop in every city we visit.  So, when I saw this book on bookshops coming out this week my interest level was high.  Here's the summary ~
An affectionate and engaging history of the American bookstore and its central place in American cultural life, from department stores to indies, from highbrow dealers trading in first editions to sidewalk vendors, and from chains to special-interest community destinations.

Bookstores have always been unlike any other kind of store, shaping readers and writers, and influencing our tastes, thoughts, and politics. They nurture local communities while creating new ones of their own. Bookshops are powerful spaces, but they are also endangered ones. In The Bookshop,we see the stakes: what has been, and what might be lost.

Evan Friss’s history of the bookshop draws on oral histories, archival collections, municipal records, diaries, letters, and interviews with leading booksellers to offer a fascinating look at this institution beloved by so many. The story begins with Benjamin Franklin’s first bookstore in Philadelphia and takes us to a range of booksellers including the Strand, Chicago’s Marshall Field & Company, the Gotham Book Mart, specialty stores like Oscar Wilde and Drum and Spear, sidewalk sellers of used books, Barnes & Noble, Amazon Books, and Parnassus. The Bookshop is also a history of the leading figures in American bookselling, often impassioned eccentrics, and a history of how books have been marketed and sold over the course of more than two centuries—including, for example, a 3,000-pound elephant who signed books at Marshall Field’s in 1944.

The Bookshop is a love letter to bookstores, a charming chronicle for anyone who cherishes these sanctuaries of literature, and essential reading to understand how these vital institutions have shaped American life—and why we still need them.

5.  Definitely me...


Make the weekend great!  I'm so excited to be attending the Pink concert!  We will also be saying goodbye to the Summer Olympics.  I'm not sure what we will do with ourselves next week when there's not some random sporting event to watch.  See you back next week.

2 comments:

  1. You are second to last to hear about that Yuka app. I have never heard of it before. It sounds sound interesting.
    I have heard good things about It Ends With Us. I want to see it soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've heard of the Yuka app either! I really enjoyed It Ends With Us and I hope they do a great job with translating the story to the big screen.

    ReplyDelete