Penny's Passion: Five on Friday - February 2, 2024

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Five on Friday - February 2, 2024

Hello! Happy Friday and happy Groundhog Day!  Please Mr. Groundhog, don't see your shadow!  I'm over winter and definitely would not like six more weeks of it!  It's not too cold where I am right now.  I'm coming at you today from Sedona where I'm enjoying a girls' getaway with two of my friends.  This place is pretty amazing and I can't wait to share the details with you in future posts.  But for today, let's look at my five for this week ~

1.  National Wear Red Today
When you're getting dressed today, remember to throw on a splash of red - it's National Wear Red Day!  Wearing red today shows your support for women's heart health and saving lives.  Did you know that heart disease and stroke kill one in three women?  According to the Go Red for Women's official website, 80% are preventable.  Let this day also serve as your reminder to schedule your physical, know your numbers, and keep your heart healthy!

Michelle Horton's new book Dear Sister was released this week and it sounds so good!  Michelle crafts a memoir about her and her incarcerated sister.  Here's the summary ~
In September 2017, a knock on the door from police upends Michelle Horton’s life forever: her sister had just shot her partner and was now in jail. Everything Michelle thought she knew about her family unraveled in that moment. During the investigation that follows, Michelle learns that Nikki had been hiding horrific abuse for years.

Stunned to find herself in a situation she’d only ever encountered on television and true crime podcasts, Michelle rearranges her life to care for Nikki's children and simultaneously launches a fight to bring Nikki home, squaring off against a criminal justice system seemingly designed to punish the entire family.

In this exquisite memoir, Michelle retraces the sisters’ childhood and explores how so many people, including herself, could have been blind to the abuse. An intimate look at a family surviving trauma, Dear Sister is a deeply personal story about what it takes to be believed and the danger of keeping truths hidden. Ultimately, Horton turns her family’s suffering into hard won wisdom: a profound story of resilience and the unbreakable bond between sisters.

For the first time in 17 years, we can say Billy Joel has a new single out!  That's right, his new ballad was released on Thursday and is titled Turn the Lights Back On.  Billy Joel will be making a stop in St. Louis this summer and I'm excited we have tickets.  I better get busy learning the lyrics to this new song before his concert!


From the time we moved in our house over a decade ago, my bath towel hung over the tub.  Eric uses the one towel rack and there really isn't a good place for another one.  Well, a few weeks ago I saw these large suction hooks on Amazon and immediately put them in my cart!  I suctioned it to the glass shower and viola - now I have a handy place to hang my towel.  It's been up for over a week and hasn't fallen or slipped yet.  They come in a pack of two and in many different finishes.  Now I need to find a place for the second one! 


5.  Come on over...


Okay - I'm getting back to my vacation now!  Today we're taking a train trip through a canyon.  Can't wait!  Hope you have a great weekend.  See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. I am so over winter too! Bring on the brighter days.
    I didn't know that it was Wear Red day today. Heart health is so important.
    Ohh! I love Billy Joel's music, I will have to give his new song a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it was wear red today but I am wearing my red anyway!

    ReplyDelete