Penny's Passion: What I Read in January 2024

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

What I Read in January 2024

Hello and welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday.  Thursday is the day I share something I’m thinking about and invite you to link up and do the same.  Today I’m thinking about the books I read in January.

 

January was one slow reading month for me.  I only finished two books!  One was for book club and the other was for my pleasure.  Here they are ~


                                   

Our book club selection this month was A Long Way Home:  A Memoir and I found it quite interesting.  Many of you may be familiar with the story of Saroo Brierley.  He was five years old when he got lost in India and separated from his family.  The book became a movie in 2016 titled Lion.  Before reading the book, I vaguely remembered the story.  I can’t imagine losing my child or a five-year-old going through what Saroo survived.  Here’s the summary ~

At only five years old, Saroo Brierley got lost on a train in India. Unable to read or write or recall the name of his hometown or even his own last name, he survived alone for weeks on the rough streets of Calcutta before ultimately being transferred to an agency and adopted by a couple in Australia.

Despite his gratitude, Brierley always wondered about his origins. Eventually, with the advent of Google Earth, he had the opportunity to look for the needle in a haystack he once called home and pore over satellite images for landmarks he might recognize or mathematical equations that might further narrow down the labyrinthine map of India. One day, after years of searching, he miraculously found what he was looking for and set off to find his family.

A Long Way Home is a moving, poignant, and inspirational true story of survival and triumph against incredible odds. It celebrates the importance of never letting go of what drives the human spirit: Hope.

The Keeper of Happy Endings

In the description of this book, it mentioned a bridal salon and Paris – two of my favorite things so I immediately wanted to read it!  It did not disappoint.  It was kind of a story inside a story and had a couple twists I definitely did not see coming.   The author is Barbara Davis and I don’t remember reading any other books by her.  Several of her books are free with Kindle Unlimited, so I’m adding a few to my library now.  Here’s the summary of The Keeper of Happy Endings ~

Soline Roussel is well schooled in the business of happy endings. For generations her family has kept an exclusive bridal salon in Paris, where magic is worked with needle and thread. It’s said that the bride who wears a Roussel gown is guaranteed a lifetime of joy. But devastating losses during World War II leave Soline’s world and heart in ruins and her faith in love shaken. She boxes up her memories, stowing them away, along with her broken dreams, determined to forget.

Decades later, while coping with her own tragic loss, aspiring gallery owner Rory Grant leases Soline’s old property and discovers a box containing letters and a vintage wedding dress, never worn. When Rory returns the mementos, an unlikely friendship develops, and eerie parallels in Rory’s and Soline’s lives begin to surface. It’s clear that they were destined to meet—and that Rory may hold the key to righting a forty-year wrong and opening the door to shared healing and, perhaps, a little magic.

 Now it’s your turn – what are you thinking out loud about today?  Link up and share!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment