Penny's Passion: Let's Make Sugar Cookies!

Monday, November 2, 2015

Let's Make Sugar Cookies!

When I was growing up, one of my favorite places to visit was my friend Linda's house.  She was the oldest of nine children and there was always something happening around her place. The recipe I'm sharing today comes from her mom's kitchen.  She is an excellent cook and this sugar cookie recipe will literally melt in your mouth.  A batch makes about 3-1/2 to 4 dozen cookies -- probably one of the reasons why she liked this recipe.  One batch would feed all her kids and the friends that were visiting.


When Ian was growing up, I loved making these cookies with him.  He would stand on a chair beside me at the counter and stir the ingredients.  I would roll the balls and he would hold the glass as we both pressed down on the cookies.  Many a Christmas these were the cookies left for Santa.  I love the memories of making these almost as much as I love their flavor.  

Here's What You Need

1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup oil (I used olive oil)
2 whole eggs
4-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Here's What You Do
In a large bowl, mix together flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt.  Set aside.


In a separate bowl, cream sugar, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and oil.  


Add the eggs and beat again.


Combine the dry ingredients with the wet.  The result should look like the below picture.


Roll the dough into balls.


Roll the balls in sugar.


Smash down a little with a glass that has been dipped in sugar.



Pop them in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  The cookies will be a light golden in color.


Place on cooling rack until cool.  Store in an airtight container.  


Enjoy with milk!

12 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness!!! These look fabulous! I've never been a big chocolate chip cookie fan but these. . .these look simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the sneak peek before it goes to the Cookie Swap since I get you in my google box. Sugar cookies, a downfall of mine.... I put a similar post up on mine too today, but rolled out. When is your birthday this November? Mine is the 30th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great, Penny! I am going to try them this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my GAH! These look amazing. I have half a cup of pumpkin that I wanted to use and I wonder if that would taste good in these sugar cookies... Mmmmmm... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, they look so soft and yummy! I've been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe, I'll have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This is going to be perfect for the holidays! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Ginger Marie | www.thegingermarieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! sugar cookies is literally the only type of cookie I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! Could you put sprinkles on this too?

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cookies. Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how these look so yummy. I love making Sugar cookies for my kids (at least every month) so I may have to try this.
    Thank you for linking up to "Bloggers Who Have Inspired Me"
    Rachel xo
    Garay Treasures

    ReplyDelete