Penny's Passion: Very Late Weekending Post

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Very Late Weekending Post

It's Wednesday evening and I'm just getting around to filling you in on my trip to Kansas City last weekend.  Shame on me!  Even though it's late, I couldn't let this fabulous weekend go unblogged.

Friday I left work mid-afternoon to high tail it my friend Linda's house in Lee's Summit.  We had reservations Friday evening at a speak easy, The W, and I didn't want to be late.   Our group of six arrived at 6-1/2 3rd Street (address is very Harry Potterish) and were buzzed in after verifying our secret password.

The hand crafted drinks were nothing short of fabulous.  Several of the libations were "smoked" under a bell jar.  I wish I would have gotten a picture of that, but you'll just have to visit in person to see that action.



We exited The W out the back door and headed to our next stop for dinner.  Third Street Social is located just down the street and was the perfect walking distance.  We were famished and everything on the menu looked so good we decided to just order a bunch of stuff and share.  What a great idea that turned out to be!!



Saturday morning we were all able to sleep in a bit and one by one gathered in the kitchen as people woke up.  Linda made two fabulous quiches to start our day.  I really need to share these recipes with you!

I had put together goody bags for everyone.  Oh, and I learned a new word last week for these little treats - surcee (an unexpected gift).  I love the word and I love giving unexpected gifts!!  Pretty sure everyone loved their surcee too!


When we were all ready to face the day, we headed to The Exit Room.  We had an hour to find the lost treasure of the famous dead adventurer and archeologist, Clive Plitger.  Before you ask -  No, we didn't get out.  We would probably still be in there if the dude behind the camera hadn't given us 843743847 clues.  It was my first experience at an escape room and, I'll be honest, it was a lot different than I thought it would be.  I thought you would get a clue that would lead you to another clue and they would go in order.  In reality, this room had many clues in no certain order at all.  Have you done one of these things before?  What did you think?


We were all in need of a snack, so we popped in The Whistle Stop for some lunch and then on to an ice cream store  for dessert.


A bridal party caught our eye and we might have stalked them for a bit while they took pictures.


Saturday was a hot one in Kansas City -- like heat index of 112 degrees hot.  Our next adventure was an outdoor food event.  The Foodie Chick Event planners had been smart in moving their outdoor event starting time from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm to help alleviate being outside in the hottest part of the day.  But folks, it was HOT!  We had barely stepped out of the car and were dripping with sweat.  Everyone was game for sticking it out though (one of the MANY reasons I love this group of girls).


We tried food samples, wine and beer from many area establishments.  If the weather had been a bit cooler, I'm sure were would have tried many more but it was just too hot to eat or drink a lot.  After a couple hours, we were ready for some air conditioning so we headed to a movie theater to see The Big Sick.


If The Big Sick isn't on your list of movies to see, I highly recommend you add it!  This movie was great.  Here's the Critics Consensus from Rotten Tomatoes and I couldn't agree with it more, "Funny, heartfelt, and intelligent, The Big Sick uses its appealing leads and cross-cultural themes to prove the standard romcom formula still has some fresh angles left to explore."



Sunday was a laid back day.  We went out for breakfast, played cards, and enjoyed each others company.


The group started breaking up in the afternoon, but I wasn't really ready to head home yet.  Linda and I decided to go see another movie, Girls Trip.  This movie had us in stitches from beginning to end.  However, if you are easily offended at cursing or some nudity it is definitely not a movie for you!  It earned every bit of it's R-rating.



I began my four-hour drive home around 7:00 pm. I got home after my bedtime and have been playing catch up ever since.  Nothing like getting the most out of the weekend!  Hence, why it's Wednesday night and I'm just now getting my weekending post done.  No regrets though!  It was a wonderful weekend and I'm already excited for our next girls weekend we are planning in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment