Penny's Passion: Let's Make Sukiyaki

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Let's Make Sukiyaki

Today I'm sharing a recipe that's been in our family for years.  It's one of our favorites and I bet if you try it, it will be one of your favs also.


I was introduced to sukiyaki by my Uncle Estil.  Thank goodness, one year at our annual family reunion one of my relatives asked for people to send her your favorite recipes and she combined a Talbot's Tastee Treats cookbook.  That was in 1986.  The cookbook is still in my cabinet and referred to often!  I'm so thankful my Aunt Jackie sent in my Uncle Estil's sukiyaki recipe so we can enjoy it thirty years later.

No photo description available.
My Uncle Estil with his grandson at one of our family reunions
Here's What You Need
1 lb. steak  - trim fat and cut into 1/8" stripes
1 head celery - cut into diagonal strips
3 bunches green onions - cut diagonally, tops and all
3 medium white onions - sliced
1 head cabbage - cut up
1 can bamboo shoots
1 can mushrooms
1 can bean sprouts
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 box white rice
Chow Mein noodles


 Here's What You Do
In a large pot, saute meat strips until browned.

Add soy sauce and canned vegetables.  I dump in the whole can liquid and all.  


Continue adding all the other vegetables and let them cook down.  Your pot is going to be full, but give it a good stir and the vegetable will begin to cook down.  Add water if necessary, but I rarely add much.  


Add the bouillon cubes and continue cooking until all the vegetables are tender.  

This is one of those dishes that gets better the next day.  When I make this, I often whip it up the day before I plan on serving it because the flavors meld so well over night.

To serve, we put a little (or a lot) of rice in the bottom of your bowl, scoop on some sukiyaki and top with crunchy chow mein noodles.   Shake a little more soy sauce on the top if you like.


Just thinking about this recipe makes me want to add it to my menu in the near future.  We love it and I hope you do too!

No photo description available.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! I sounds delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This makes my mouth water. I love Asian recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this dish, but it sounds good. I have a lot of friends and family who would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this either but you make it sound so yummy. Thanks for sharing your uncle's recipe.

    ReplyDelete