Penny's Passion: Thinking Out Loud Thursday - February 14, 2019

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Thinking Out Loud Thursday - February 14, 2019

Hello there!  Happy Valentine's Day!  Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday.  Today is the last installment of the five part series based on the coaching tips reviewed at the end of Rachel Hollis's movie Made for More.  The topic today - Habits.


As I mentioned last week, Made for More is now available on Amazon and if you haven't had a chance to see it WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?  

So let's talk about habits.  The good ole' Webster Dictionary defines habits as an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary.  Immediately I think of the habit I have of unplugging my curling iron every day.  I do it so completely involuntary that half the time I don't even remember doing it and have to call home on my way to work and ask Eric to check it.  He's gotten into such a habit of checking that my call really isn't necessary because he's already checked it!  

We all have habits, some good and some bad.  Research tells us that it takes 21 days for a habit to form or be resolved.  21 days can be a long time!  But if you are wanting to develop new habits to improve your life, and ultimately your happiness, the struggle to get through 21 days could prove very much worth it.  

I've decided to work on breaking one bad habit and adding one good habit to my life over the next 21 days.  The last few days, I've done some soul searching to decide what my breaking and adding habit would be.  Between now and March 13 (28 days) here's the habits I'll be focusing on !

Breaking A Bad Habit
There was a wide array of bad habits in my life that I could pick from, but the one I've decided to focus on for the next 21 days is to stop biting my thumb nails.  Growing up, all my nails were subject to me picking and biting at them.  As I got older and loved the look of painted fingernails, I limited my bad habit to just my thumbs.  I've had periods of time when I just picked on my left thumb.  But when times get stressful, my right thumb is under attack too.  The problem is, I'm constantly trying to keep my thumbs out of site.  I hate the way they look and it should be easy for me to fix this!  Hopefully in 21 days I'll have 10 beautiful manicured fingers to show you!

YUCK!

Adding A Good Habit
During the work week, I want to get in the habit of fixing my lunch and picking out my outfit the night before.  So many times in the morning these two things really derail me from getting out the door on time.  Then I'm frantically trying to leave for work knowing I'll have to drive like a wild woman to make it to my office on time.  Taking care of these two items the night before will make my mornings so much more calm!

These aren't major, earth-shattering things.  But I know by turning these simple, little things into habits, I'll be happier with myself.  Want to join me?  Come on - misery loves company and if we do it together it might be fun!  What would your habit changers be?

Now it's your turn - link up and share what you are thinking out loud about today.  I'd love to hear from you!

Inlinkz Link Party

5 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I need to stick with routines that I have created and not stray from them. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I like the idea of not just quitting one bad habit but also adding one good one. I'm terrible about picking my thumbs too, maybe I should join you in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For our psychology class one year we had to pick a habit or vice or something we wanted to change about ourselves and use some of the behavior modification techniques we learned in class to change our behavior. We had one month.. I did great with not picking at or biting at my nails for the whole time... but sad to say some old habits are just so hard to break! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to watch this! I got into the habit of hanging outfits right when I took them out of the dryer and I have to admit, it's such a timesaver. I need to think of some habits to quit and add!

    ReplyDelete