Penny's Passion: Weekending - October 7, 2022

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Weekending - October 7, 2022

Last weekend had a little bit of everything in it!  Here's the rewind ~

Friday night I worked late getting ready for an offsite meeting I'm coordinating this week.  It was nice and quiet at the office.  Because of that, it was the perfect time for me to sit with myself, go over all the plans, and make sure I was 110% ready for the week.  Spending Friday night at the office is never ideal, but I'm so glad I took the time to make sure everything was pulled together so I could put that behind me and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Saturday morning was filled with errands.  We fixed a big breakfast to fuel us and got busy.  One of our stops was the pumpkin patch.  We were looking for some gourds and white pumpkins, along with the traditional orange, to decorate our porch.  Mission accomplished!  Can't wait to share the picture of the porch with you.


In the evening, I met up with a couple friends for dinner and to see Rachel Hollis Live.  Pre-pandemic I had purchased a ticket to attend Rachel's Rise Conference in San Diego.  That didn't end up coming to fruition, so seeing her live on Saturday was a little bit of a makeup session for me.  


My friend noticed immediately that two of her sons were selling the merch.  I wish I would have been brave enough to ask them to take a selfie with us, but instead I snuck a picture of them working at the table.  I've had a love-hate relationship with Rachel lately and I wondered how I would receive her show.  Honestly, it was pretty darn good.  Glad I went.  


Remember when I shared my Fall goals?  One of them was to make apple butter.  Well, Sunday morning I got up bright and early, prepared the apples, and got them in the crockpot to cook for 8 hours.  While the apple butter was cooking, Eric and I loaded up and headed to a state park about an hour and a half south of St. Louis.  


It was the perfect day for a hike!  The weather was right at 68 degrees.  The hike had stretches that were fairly difficult, but overall it was great.  We probably missed peak color for the leaves by a week or two, but the scenery was still beautiful and it felt great to be outside enjoying nature.  




Eric loves all things history.  As a bonus to our hike, we stopped in Pilot Knob to look through Fort Davidson, a civil war battle site.  They have a small visitors' center and a beautiful location to picnic.


As a reward for our exercise during the hike, we stopped at Porter's Candy World and Ice Cream Parlor.  The ice cream was so tasty and really hit the spot for our afternoon snack.  


The whole afternoon was a wonderful experience.  The little towns we went through were so picturesque.  It truly was a great way to reset mentally.  On the drive home, I asked myself several times why we didn't do things like this more often.  Maybe it was tied to Rachel's motivational seminar I attended the night before, but whatever it was I'm going to make a conscious effort to bring more moments and days like this into my life.

Now, remember when I said I put the apple butter in the crock pot before we left for our adventure?  When we got home we canned it - and it turned out great!  I'm planning on giving a few away as gifts (if we don't eat them all first!).


And that's a wrap on the weekend!  I'm going to try to maintain the feeling of calm the weekend brought into my work week.  Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment