Penny's Passion: 2023 Hawaii Vacation - Day 6

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

2023 Hawaii Vacation - Day 6

Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday where I talk about something I'm thinking about and invite you to link up and do the same.  Today I'm thinking about Day 6 adventures from our Hawaii trip!


Day 6 of our trip was a Thursday, the day we designated as hiking day.  And hike we did!  We conquered three hikes, which was a bit ambitious for me because I was dragging by the last one.  The day started before daybreak with our hike up Diamond Head.  We thought it would be cool to watch the sunrise at the top of Diamond Head, which meant we were hiking up pre-dawn.  Thank heavens our son brought his headlamp! 

As the sun crested over the horizon, I knew our decision was a sound one! It was majestic!


After the sun rose, we began our descent down the side of the volcano.  It was interesting seeing what we had passed in the dark on the way up.  

Breakfast at the famous bakery Leonard's was next on the agenda.  Have I mentioned how there are chickens everywhere?  We sidestepped a half dozen chickens in the parking lot and made our way inside to order.


We deserved a pastry after hiking almost a mile straight up!  They were scrumptious and put enough sugar in our bodies to propel us to our second hike of the day.


Hike number 2 was the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail.  This entire trail is paved and very exposed.  The weather was great the day we were there, but I could see where it could get very hot if the temperatures were high.  They estimate it will take about 2 hours to complete the hike and that's pretty close to how long it took us.  We weren't in a hurry and stopped often to catch our breath take pictures.


The views on this hike were my favorite.  The water is all the shades of blue!  I know seeing the lighthouse was the goal, but there were a million other views that were beautiful along the way.



On our way to and from Majapu'u Point were lookout areas where you could pull off the highway and take in the view.  If you're there, definitely stop!



Our third and final hike of the day was Manoa Falls Trail.  This trail has a waterfall at the end, which was one of the items on my list of things I wanted to see in Hawaii.


The entire time we were hiking this trail I half expected a dinosaur to come busting out of the vegetation that surrounded us!


We heard the waterfall before we actually saw it.  Thankfully there had been enough recent rain and the water was falling!  See how little those people in the picture look?  This waterfall is huge!


After our final hike, it was lunchtime!  We headed to downtown Honolulu and ate noodles from Marukame Udon.  


I thought the best noodles I had ever had were in Hong Kong, but these were just as good if not better.  It could have been because I was starving, but I think they are just that good.   Highly recommend eating here!


After lunch, we walked over to Waikiki Beach.  Guys, I'm not going to lie - it didn't do much for me.  It was crowded and busy.  After only a few minutes there, we headed straight back to Aulani where we enjoy the tranquility (and the hot tub).  Hot tub for the win!  I'm convinced the hot tub saved me from not being able to walk the next day.

We had made a reservation at the resort to do star gazing.  When we arrived at our 8:00 pm time, it was questionable if the sky was going to cooperate.  At the stroke of 7:58 pm, the clouds moved out of the way and the star shone bright!  Eric was in heaven!  He loves astronomy and this was his jam.  


Day 6 was a full one!  This was a day to remember, full of so many memories and moments that will forever be treasured.

Now it's your turn.  What are you thinking about today?  Link up and share!






You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

  1. I laughed about your thoughts of seeing a dinosaur pop up. I totally get that! :) I think Jurassic Park actually used Hawaii for much of its filming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hiked Diamond Head a few years ago, and I agree- it was glorious! Can't wait to see more of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The water is just so beautiful! Lovely pictures! Thanks for hosting the linkup, too.

    ReplyDelete