Penny's Passion: What I Read in February 2024

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

What I Read in February 2024

Hi there!  Thanks for stopping by Thinking Out Loud Thursday where I talk about something on my mind and invite you to link up and do the same.  Today I'm sharing the books I read in February.

February was a decent reading month for me.  I read four books and I would rate one excellent, two above average and one okay.  Here's what they were ~


The Measure by Nikki Erlick
I'd been hearing buzz about The Measure for some time and was glad when my book club chose this as the February book selection.  Talk about a book that really makes you think about your life!  It also makes for a great book club discussion.  Have you read it?  Would you open your box?  Here's the summary ~
Eight ordinary people. One extraordinary choice.

It seems like any other day. You wake up, pour a cup of coffee, and head out.

But today, when you open your front door, waiting for you is a small wooden box. This box holds your fate inside: the answer to the exact number of years you will live.

From suburban doorsteps to desert tents, every person on every continent receives the same box. In an instant, the world is thrust into a collective frenzy. Where did these boxes come from? What do they mean? Is there truth to what they promise?

As society comes together and pulls apart, everyone faces the same shocking choice: Do they wish to know how long they’ll live? And, if so, what will they do with that knowledge?

The Measure charts the dawn of this new world through an unforgettable cast of characters whose decisions and fates interweave with one another: best friends whose dreams are forever entwined, pen pals finding refuge in the unknown, a couple who thought they didn’t have to rush, a doctor who cannot save himself, and a politician whose box becomes the powder keg that ultimately changes everything.

Enchanting and deeply uplifting, The Measure is an ambitious, invigorating story about family, friendship, hope, and destiny that encourages us to live life to the fullest.

Some months ago, I read The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides and really liked it.  It's not my typical genre, but I enjoyed dipping my toes into the mystery, thriller, and suspense area.  When The Fury, written by the same author as The Silent Patient, came out in January it went on my TBR list and bubbled to the top in February.  Rating this one Okay.  The story was kind of all over the place and I had a hard time staying interested.  With that being said, I listened to this one and the narrator was awesome!  There were plenty of twists and turns.  If this is your style, you would probably like it more than I did.  Here's the summary ~
This is a tale of murder.

Or maybe that’s not quite true. At its heart, it’s a love story, isn’t it?

Lana Farrar is a reclusive ex–movie star and one of the most famous women in the world. Every year, she invites her closest friends to escape the English weather and spend Easter on her idyllic private Greek island.

I tell you this because you may think you know this story. You probably read about it at the time ― it caused a real stir in the tabloids, if you remember. It had all the necessary ingredients for a press sensation: a celebrity; a private island cut off by the wind…and a murder.

We found ourselves trapped there overnight. Our old friendships concealed hatred and a desire for revenge. What followed was a game of cat and mouse ― a battle of wits, full of twists and turns, building to an unforgettable climax. The night ended in violence and death, as one of us was found murdered.

But who am I?

My name is Elliot Chase, and I’m going to tell you a story unlike any you’ve ever heard.

This book is the one I rated excellent!  The story captivated me from the very first page and was hard to put down.  It's based on a girl who served time in Vietnam.  I hadn't read much about Vietnam and this book was definitely an eye-opener.  Kristin Hannah did not disappoint with this one!  Here's the summary ~
Women can be heroes. When twenty-year-old nursing student Frances “Frankie” McGrath hears these words, it is a revelation. Raised in the sun-drenched, idyllic world of Southern California and sheltered by her conservative parents, she has always prided herself on doing the right thing. But in 1965, the world is changing, and she suddenly dares to imagine a different future for herself. When her brother ships out to serve in Vietnam, she joins the Army Nurse Corps and follows his path.

As green and inexperienced as the men sent to Vietnam to fight, Frankie is over-whelmed by the chaos and destruction of war. Each day is a gamble of life and death, hope and betrayal; friendships run deep and can be shattered in an instant. In war, she meets—and becomes one of—the lucky, the brave, the broken, and the lost.

But war is just the beginning for Frankie and her veteran friends. The real battle lies in coming home to a changed and divided America, to angry protesters, and to a country that wants to forget Vietnam.

The Women is the story of one woman gone to war, but it shines a light on all women who put themselves in harm’s way and whose sacrifice and commitment to their country has too often been forgotten. A novel about deep friendships and bold patriotism, The Women is a richly drawn story with a memorable heroine whose idealism and courage under fire will come to define an era.

Five Winters was free on Kindle Unlimited so I added it to my cart.  It did not disappoint!  The story was easy to follow and the ending was a tad bit predictable, but there were plenty of twists to the story to keep you intrigued and interested.  Here's the summary ~
A bighearted novel about motherhood, friendship, moving on, and love of all kinds.

Ever since Beth Bailey was a girl, she’s been in love with her best friend’s older brother, Mark. She’s continued to hold out hope that maybe, someday, he’ll love her back. But now Beth is thirty-five years old, and on the day of Mark’s wedding to another woman, she finally accepts the wake-up call she needs to move on.

Beth’s dream of marrying her first love may be over, but her other biggest desire is still within reach: becoming a mother. Having lost her own parents very young, there’s nothing Beth wants more in life, and nothing she’ll stop at to make her wish come true.

Over the course of five years, and with unexpected twists along the way, Beth will come to startling realisations about family, friendship, the meaning of love, and most importantly, herself on the winding path to happiness and, she hopes, to motherhood.

Overall, February ended up being a great reading month.  I'm currently reading The Book of Charlie by David Von Drehle, which is our March book club selection.  Have you picked your Amazon First Reads book yet?  There were a couple on the list that looked good to me.  I ended up choosing Friends in Napa.  Let me know which book you choose.

Now it's your turn.  What are you thinking out loud about today?  Link up and share!



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I'm sharing my February books today too (and we both read one of the same books; I'm picking up my hold on The Measure today from the library). I went with What is Love? for my free book this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Measure last year and have often wondered since: would I open my box? I don't know. I'm glad I don't have to decide in real life. Such an interesting book! I just put The Women on hold at my library. It may be a few YEARS before it gets to me though. lol. Oh well, there are a lot of other books I can read in the meantime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have The Fury and The Woman on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete