Penny's Passion: Five on Friday - February 28, 2020

Friday, February 28, 2020

Five on Friday - February 28, 2020

Happy Friday!  Where has February gone?!?  It's hard to believe we only have two days left in the month.  But, with February behind us, it seems spring is getting a lot closer!  And I'm all about spring!

Want to see my five for today?  Here you go~

1.  Leap Day
Tomorrow is February 29 - Leap Day!  Once every four years, we are gifted an extra day.  Wondering why this happens?  History.com explains it this way, "Nearly every four years, we add an extra day to the calendar in the form of February 29, also known as Leap Day. Put simply, these additional 24 hours are built into the calendar to ensure that it stays in line with the Earth’s movement around the Sun. While the modern calendar contains 365 days, the actual time it takes for Earth to orbit its star is slightly longer—roughly 365.2421 days. The difference might seem negligible, but over decades and centuries that missing quarter of a day per year can add up. To ensure consistency with the true astronomical year, it is necessary to periodically add in an extra day to make up the lost time and get the calendar back in sync with the heavens."  Whatever the reason, I'll gladly take an extra 24 hours!  A special shout out to my cousin Diane whose birthday happens to fall on February 29.  Happy real birthday Diane!


2.  The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man, starring Elisabeth Moss, opens today.  Every time we see the trailer for this movie, I have to cover my eyes.  So, I don't think we'll be seeing it, but if you're into suspenseful movies, you might want to add this one to your list.  Here's the summary from Rotten Tomatoes ~
Trapped in a violent, controlling relationship with a wealthy and brilliant scientist, Cecilia Kass (Moss) escapes in the dead of night and disappears into hiding, aided by her sister (Harriet Dyer, NBC's The InBetween), their childhood friend (Aldis Hodge, Straight Outta Compton) and his teenage daughter (Storm Reid, HBO's Euphoria). But when Cecilia's abusive ex (Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House) commits suicide and leaves her a generous portion of his vast fortune, Cecilia suspects his death was a hoax. As a series of eerie coincidences turns lethal, threatening the lives of those she loves, Cecilia's sanity begins to unravel as she desperately tries to prove that she is being hunted by someone nobody can see.
If anyone sees it, please tell me about it.  Wish I wasn't such a scaredy-cat!


Do you read the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy?  If so, you are already familiar with the gal behind the blog Anne Bogel.  Anne's newest book, Don't Overthink It, hits the stands Tuesday (March 3) and you are going to want to get it!  I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy and found myself shaking my head yes at all her examples of being an overthinker.  Anne talks truth about rumination, perfectionism and analysis paralysis.  Are you an overthinker or know someone who is?  Get your book pre-ordered today!  Here's the summary from Amazon ~
We've all been there: stuck in a cycle of what-ifs, plagued by indecision, paralyzed by the fear of getting it wrong. Nobody wants to live a life of constant overthinking, but it doesn't feel like something we can choose to stop doing. It feels like something we're wired to do, something we just can't escape. But is it?
Anne Bogel's answer is no. Not only can you overcome negative thought patterns that are repetitive, unhealthy, and unhelpful, you can replace them with positive thought patterns that will bring more peace, joy, and love into your life. In Don't Overthink It, you'll find actionable strategies that can make an immediate and lasting difference in how you deal with questions both small--Should I buy these flowers?--and large--What am I doing with my life? More than a book about making good decisions, Don't Overthink It offers you a framework for making choices you'll be comfortable with, using an appropriate amount of energy, freeing you to focus on all the other stuff that matters in life.

                                

When I have overnight guests, I love to have a little goody bag waiting for them in their sleeping room.  Finding fun things to share in the bags is so much fun.  Giving them is as fun for me as it is for the recipient receiving it!  Recently I ran across this set of 4 magnets on Amazon and ordered them immediately.  My guests loved them!  Want some for your friends (or yourself)?  Click HERE.


5.  A Challenge I'm Up For...


Enjoy your extra 24 hours this weekend!  Tomorrow I'm doing one of my favorite things - I'm meeting with a bride to talk about her invitations.  Also on the docket is switching our Valentine decorations over to St. Patrick's Day decor.  Pop in next week and read all about it!

Linking up with:

6 comments:

  1. I’d love to read Anne’s book. I hope you have a super sweet weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law got married on Feb 29th so we always tried to celebrate her "real" anniversary as a whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the magnets, especially the green one! They are so funny. Visiting from your party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I have St Pat's stuff, I need to get it out! Thanks for the reminder, ha!

    I'm not sure abotu that Invisible movie but I am super excited for A Quiet Place 2. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I totally need that book!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, go see The Invisible Man, was good!!

    ReplyDelete