Penny's Passion: Five on Friday - July 28, 2023

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Five on Friday - July 28, 2023

Wow - what a week.  I've made it through and am ready to share my five for this week, so without further ado ~

1.  World Conservation Day
Today's a day worth noting - it's World Conservation Day.  This day acknowledges that the foundation for a healthy society is a healthy environment.  All 8 billion of us that populate the Earth should be aware of the importance of protecting our natural resources (air, sunlight, soil, minerals, fuels, and water).  Here are eight things to keep in mind ~

Plant trees to reduce soil erosion
Reduce, reuse and recycle
Carpool with co-workers
Shut off lights when leaving a room
Go digital instead of printing things on paper
Volunteer for community cleanups
Use non-toxic cleaning supplies
Make your own compost

There's a cookbook that came out this week that I'm pretty interested in - Baking Yesteryear, the best recipes from the 1900s to the 1980s.  Here's the summary ~
Friends of baking, are you sick and tired of making the same recipes again and again? Then look no further than this baking blast from the past, as B. Dylan Hollis highlights the most unique tasty treats of yesteryear.

Travel back in time on a delicious decade-by-decade jaunt as Dylan shows you how to bake vintage forgotten greats. With a big pinch of fun and a full cup of humor, you’ll be baking everything from Chocolate Potato Cake from the 1910s to Avocado Pie from the 1960s.

Dylan has baked hundreds of recipes from countless antique cookbooks and selected only the best for this bakebook, sharing the shining stars from each decade. And because some of the recipes Dylan shares on his wildly popular social media channels are spectacular failures, he’s thrown in a few of the most disastrously strange recipes for you to try if you dare.

A few of Dylan’s favorites that are going to have you licking your lips and begging for more include:
● 1900s Cornflake Macaroons
● 1910s ANZAC Biscuits
● 1930s Peanut Butter Bread
● 1940s Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
● 1950s Tomato Soup Cake
● 1970s Potato Chip Cookies

Baking Yesteryear contains 101 expertly curated recipes that will take you on a delicious journey through the past. With a larger-than-life personality and comedic puns galore, baking with Dylan never gets old. We’ll leave that to the recipes.

3.  First Reads on Amazon Prime    
If you have Amazon Prime, this is your reminder to pick your free book for July if you haven't done it already.  Below are your options.  Looks like some interesting choices.  I love this perk from Prime!  

Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars (4396)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Romance

4.5 out of 5 stars (5615)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Historical Fiction

4.2 out of 5 stars (4810)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Fantasy

4.4 out of 5 stars (2011)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Family Drama

3.9 out of 5 stars (1376)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Thriller

4.2 out of 5 stars (5142)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Women's Fiction

4.3 out of 5 stars (4770)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 

Short Read: Self-Help

4.0 out of 5 stars (1012)
$0.00 (Save $1.99) 

Historical Crime

4.3 out of 5 stars (2246)
$0.00 (Save $4.99) 



4.  Sweet Magnolias Season 3
This has been a bit of a week, so this weekend my plan is to take it easy.  I can't wait to get cozy on the couch and binge-watch Sweet Magnolias.  Season three came out recently and I want to get caught up with Maddie, Helen, and Dana Sue and their Southern town of Serenity.  This show is very Hallmarkish, but I still find it entertaining! 


5.  For all of us Barbie lovers...


Have a great weekend!  It's going to be a hot one here so I'm planning on staying inside and giving myself some grace by not worrying about getting much done other than relaxing.  See you next week!

5 comments:

  1. I can't remember which book I picked for this month's first read-- I find I have such a hard time picking just one each month (than again I am just awful at actually reading it!). I have so many books waiting for me on my Kindle since I always seem to prioritize my stack of books from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. World Conservation Day should be such an important day with the world in the state that it is. Great advice.
    That cookbook sounds brilliant! I have a couple of old cookbooks passed down to me from family members and they have some great, forgotten about recipes.
    Have a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder about the first reads! AND for letting me know the 3rd season of Sweet MAgnolias is out!! I will be working on binging that this weekend too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some beautiful book covers. I haven't heard of any of these. Thanks for sharing. And lol at the Barbie quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - looks like some interesting reads to check out!

    ReplyDelete