Penny's Passion: Five on Friday - July 7, 2023

Thursday, July 6, 2023

Five on Friday - July 7, 2023

Is it Friday?  With the holiday in the middle of the week, I honestly haven't known what day it is all week!  But the calendar declares it to indeed be Friday, so here's my five for this week ~

1.  World Chocolate Day
Happy World Chocolate Day!  I know this is a day many of you can get behind and happily celebrate.  Bust out all the chocolate and enjoy your day.  Indulge on your favorite chocolates!  Will you be having milk or dark chocolate?  Hot chocolate?  Or your favorite treat smothered in a chocolate sauce?  Whatever your preference is, eat it guilt-free today as you celebrate the day set aside for all things chocolate.

Beatriz Williams has a new book out and it sounds pretty darn good.  It promises "suspense, romance, and glorious, beach-laden locales".  Sounds like a book I should add to my TBR list!  Here's the summary ~
June 1946. As the residents of Winthrop Island prepare for the first summer season after the sacrifice of war, a glamorous new figure moves into the guest cottage at Summerly, the idyllic seaside estate of the wealthy Peabody family. To Emilia Winthrop, daughter of Summerly’s year-round caretaker and a descendant of the island’s settlers, Olive Rainsford opens a window into a world of shining possibility. While Emilia spent the war years caring for her incapacitated mother, Olive traveled the world, married fascinating men, and involved herself in political causes. She’s also the beloved aunt of the two surviving Peabody sons, Amory and Shep, with whom Emilia has a tangled romantic history.

As the summer wears on, Emilia develops a deep rapport with Olive, who urges her to leave the island for a life of adventure, while romance blossoms with the sturdy and honorable Shep. But the heady promise of Peabody patronage is blown apart by the arrival of Sumner Fox, an FBI agent who demands Emilia’s help to capture a Soviet agent who’s transmitting vital intelligence on the West’s atomic weapon program from somewhere inside the Summerly estate.

April 1954. Eight years later, Summerly is boarded up and Emilia has rebuilt her shattered life as a professor at Wellesley College, when shocking news arrives from Washington—the traitor she helped convict is about to be swapped for an American spy imprisoned in the Soviet Union, but with a mysterious condition only Emilia can fulfill. A reluctant Emilia is summoned to CIA headquarters, where she’s forced to confront the harrowing consequences of her actions that fateful summer, and a choice that could destroy the Peabody family—and Emilia’s chance for redemption—all over again.

I sprung for a new dress this week from Amazon.  When I wore it to work, the compliments rolled in so I deemed it blogworthy.  This dress is lightweight and would be perfect to pop in your suitcase for work or personal travel.  The material remained wrinkle-free all day too!  Check out all the patterns it comes in HERE.  I'm seriously thinking about ordering another one.


4.  The Lincoln Lawyer
We loved the first season of The Lincoln Lawyer and are excited to see what Season 2 brings.  Part 1 of Season 2 started yesterday and there are 5 episodes just sitting out there for us to watch.  There might be some binge-watching in my near future!   Haven't heard anything about this Netflix show?  Here's the synopsis ~
The Lincoln Lawyer is an American legal drama television series created for television by David E. Kelley and developed by Ted Humphrey, based on the books of Michael Connelly.[1] It stars Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Mickey Haller, a defense attorney in Los Angeles who works out of a chauffeur-driven Lincoln Navigator rather than an office. Neve Campbell, Becki Newton, Jazz Raycole, Angus Sampson, and Christopher Gorham also star.

The first season is based on Connelly's 2008 novel The Brass Verdict, a sequel to his novel The Lincoln Lawyer. It premiered on Netflix on May 13, 2022. It received generally positive reviews from critics. In June 2022, the series was renewed for a second season. It is based upon Connelly's 2011 novel, The Fifth Witness (the fourth book in The Lincoln Lawyer series), and will stream in two parts. The first part was released on July 6, 2023, and the second will be released on August 3.

5.  Anybody else have this problem...


Enjoy the weekend!  If the rain stays away, we're going to my home town to watch fireworks this weekend.  The rest of the weekend is up for grabs.  Amazon Prime Days is next week so I hope to have a minute to get my wishlist together.  See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun meme!! Ha! I remember 8 years ago when I moved my sister I offered to unpack her basement for her (she had movers pack everything at her previous home). I couldn't believe the number of boxes that only contained empty boxes!!! She was so mad that she paid for that :). I immediately ordered the dress you shared -- I was torn between the red, the multi-colored, and the blue. . .ended up with the multi-colored one. I really liked all three. I loved The Lincoln Lawyer - I didn't realize it was a book series, I might enjoy those too. I think I'll wait until August to binge on the entire season though?? I always "forget" the details if I wait too long between watches. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete