Penny's Passion: Is Hamilton Really That Good?

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Is Hamilton Really That Good?

Hey there!  Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday.  This is an open forum where you can link your blog post about anything that is on your mind.

Today I'm thinking out loud about the date night Eric and I had on Tuesday.  The musical Hamilton was playing at the Fox Theater and we were in the audience!


I have to be honest, I was a little worried that I would be the one person that didn't really like it.  We have friends who have traveled to Chicago and New York for this 11 time Tony award-winning show.  Not a single person I know that has seen Hamilton has had a negative reaction.  I feared that it would be one of those things after hearing everyone rave about, my expectations would be too high and I would be let down.  Has that happened to you before?


Hamilton has been in St. Louis since April 3 and we had resisted the urge to buy tickets.  I had faithfully entered the lottery through the Hamilton app every single day to win a chance to buy $10 tickets.  Each day the message "Try Again!  Sorry you did not win." appeared on my phone.  But think how exciting it would be to win!  So worth entering every day.


On Monday I couldn't resist any longer.  There were a few seats remaining for the Tuesday night performance and I just had to see what the hype was all about.  Guys - I was not one bit disappointed.  This musical was fabulous and deserves every good comment we have heard about it!


This production was witty and fun.  Here is the synopsis from Playbill: From bastard orphan to Washington's right hand man, rebel to war hero, loving husband caught in the country's first sex scandal to Treasury head who made an untrusting world believe in the American economy, Hamilton is an exploration of a political mastermind. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Eliza Hamilton, and lifelong Hamilton friend and foe, Aaron Burr, all attend this revolutionary tale of America’s fiery past told through the sounds of the ever-changing nation we've become.

Have you seen it?  Is it coming to a city near you?  If you need someone to see it with you, let me know.  I would definitely see it again!

Now it's your turn -- what are you thinking out loud about?  Link up and share - I'd love to hear form you!


9 comments:

  1. That's exactly why my husband didn't really want to go, but I twisted his arm. And we were so glad we went. When you hear that it's rap music, it almost put us off because I rarely can understand rap musics lyrics. But I think they did a phenomenal job of enunciating and being able to follow along!!
    We LOVED it!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it but I desperately want to! It is coming to Minneapolis next year and tickets are near impossible, but maybe I'll see about the lottery thing here, you just never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it yet but I picked up a biography because the popularity of the musical piqued my interest. Fascinating person! I'm in NYC, I should really start trying the lottery for tickets here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps wow, that looks like a spectacular theater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to see a play. I missed it here, way too much demand. I am glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review. Have a wonderful Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I haven't seen it yet either, but it's SUPPOSED to come to my city next year. I just hope I can get tickets because I really, really want to check it out.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it but I do hate when things are talked up so much I am disappointed when I finally get to experience it myself. I'm so glad that this wasn't the case for you! Sounds like a really fun night out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen Hamilton yet, but I love the soundtrack :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a client say the one in Chicago is much better.

    ReplyDelete