Penny's Passion: Let's Make a Blackberry Cobbler

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Let's Make a Blackberry Cobbler

Welcome to Thinking Out Loud Thursday!  I'm still thinking about the plump, juicy blackberries we recently picked and today I'm going to share a recipe with you using them.

This past weekend, Eric and I visited our go to place for picking fresh fruit - Eckert's in Belleville.  If you live in the St. Louis area and haven't been -- GO!!  Right now there is a trifecta of things you can pick.  There's blackberries, peaches and vegetables.  This fall we'll be returning to pick apples.


From the time we loaded the tractor for our short trip to the blackberry bushes, I could already taste the blackberry cobbler I wanted to make!  The vines at Eckert's are planted in neat rows on a trellis arching towards the sky.  With the vines being loaded with fruit, we filled out basket in record time!


When we got home, I started scouring Pinterest to find the perfect cobbler recipe I could try with my freshly picked blackberries and settled on one titled Best Kentucky Blackberry Cobbler from Top and Exclusive Foods.  It was definitely a winner!

Here's What You Need
2-1/2 cups fresh blackberries, washed
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 stick of unsalted better, melted


Here's What You Do
Combine your blackberries with the sugar and let it sit for 30 minutes.  Something magical happens to the fruit's juice by doing this.


 After 20 minutes of your fruit and sugar being combined, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and milk with a wooden spoon.  Stir in the melted butter and stir until all the ingredients are mixed well.  You might have a few clumps.


Pour batter into an 8x8 baking dish (or similar size).  No greasing is necessary.


Pour the blackberry/sugar mixture evenly on top of the batter.  Make sure to scrape the bowl and get all the sugary goodness on top of the batter.


Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  45 minutes worked for mine to reach the golden color I was looking for.  Let it cool for at least 15 minutes before digging in.


Serve warm or room temperature.


This recipe was so easy to make and the flavor is the best!  You, like me, probably already have all the ingredients right there in your kitchen.  Just add some fresh blackberries and you are set to go.

I'm hoping to get out to Eckert's again before the end of the season.  We will definitely be making another cobbler if we do!

Now it's your turn - link up your post and let us know what you are thinking out loud about today.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. That sounds so yummy! I have never made cobbler of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Eckert's! I have only been to pick pumpkins, but definitely want to go back soon. Especially because I recently read they have a sunflower maze. Sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yummy and the recipe is easy to follow. Thanks, Penny, for hosting the link-up and sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly I actually do have all of those ingredients in my kitchen, minus the blackberries of course! I'm not a huge dessert person, but I could definitely whip this up for a BBQ or girls night. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing it. Have a great Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious and I've been waiting for your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Enjoy the rest of your day

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Penny, this looks scrumptious. My mom used to toss a little sugar onto cut pieces of fruit...bananas, strawberries, peaches and the same magic would happen! She would spoon it over vanilla ice cream. Mmmm, memories. Really want to try this. We are on Weight Watchers so I could calculate the points and make sure we don't eat too much at one time. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fav thing about summer is all the fresh fruit <3

    ReplyDelete