Penny's Passion: Weekending - October 23, 2020

Monday, October 26, 2020

Weekending - October 23, 2020

Happy Monday!  Can you believe this is the last week of October?  This fall seems to have disappeared quickly.  We tried to enjoy the fall weather and scenery this weekend and I think we succeeded!  Let me rewind and start from the beginning ~


Friday night Eric and I cuddled up on the couch to watch On the Rocks, the Bill Murray movie I talked about on my Five on Friday.  We were both disappointed.  It was slow and we both struggled to stay focused.  I will be so happy when the movie industry is back in full swing!  I'm dying to see a really good movie!


Before calling it a day, I finished reading the book selection for my Kansas City book club.  We read Secret Daughter.  I loved it and can't wait for the discussion.  Here's the summary from Amazon ~
Secret Daughter, a first novel by Shilpi Somaya Gowda, explores powerfully and poignantly the emotional terrain of motherhood, loss, identity, and love through the experiences of two families—one Indian, one American—and the child that binds them together. A masterful work set partially in the Mumbai slums so vividly portrayed in the hit film Slumdog Millionaire, Secret Daughter recalls the acclaimed novels of Kim Edwards and Thrity Umrigar, yet sparkles with the freshness of a truly exciting new literary voice.


Saturday I accidentally spent the entire day cleaning the laundry room.  Have you ever done that?  It started with me just wanting to go through the papers I had on top of the dryer and it ended with me going through every nook and cranny of the room.  Not that I'm sad the laundry room is now in great shape, but the other things on my to-do list are still undone.  

I was super excited when the mailman rang my doorbell and left the last piece of material needed for my dresser project.  I had ordered wrapping paper to go down the side of the drawers.  It looked as good as I had dreamed it would.  Later this week I'll be sharing the completed project.  I can't wait to show it to you!


We celebrated a friend's job promotion on Saturday night by taking her to dinner.  Blogger fail - I didn't take a single picture.  But it was glorious to celebrate her success and I'm so proud of her!

Sunday morning we slept in a bit and then headed to the polling place to vote.  I wanted to vote early just to relieve the stress of trying to plan the timing on November 3.  Hope you've made a plan to cast your ballot this year!


Eric had read an article in his Missouri Life magazine about a conservation area about 2 hours from our house.  Sunday we loaded up and trekked to Millstream Gardens Conservation Area.  We missed the peak color of the fall leaves, but the area was still beautiful and the hike was a splendid way to spend the cool day.





Sunday night we continued watching The Looming Tower.  It's good.  Have you seen it?  Here's the summary from Hulu ~
Based on the Pulitzer-Prize winning book, The Looming Tower traces the rising threat of Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda in the late 1990s and how the rivalry between the FBI and CIA during that time may have inadvertently set the path for the tragedy of 9/11. The series follows members of the I-49 Squad in New York and Alec Station in Washington, D.C., the counter-terrorism divisions of the FBI and CIA, respectively, as they travel the world fighting for ownership of information while seemingly working toward the same goal - trying to prevent an imminent attack on U.S. soil.


Hope you have a wonderful week!  I'll be sharing the completed dresser later this week and a few other surprises.  Pop back in and see for yourself!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to read your book and series recommendations. I have a tab open for the book now. Thinking the online book club might like it. If you haven't read The Henna Artist, I recommend it. Loved Slumdog Millionaire. Such a good movie.
    I hear you about the movie industry! We went to see 2 movies in the last month at the theater and both were okay but not something would have seen if we had better choices. Our Covid numbers are skyrocketing so we won't return to the theater soon.
    Your dresser looks fabulous. Like something at a quaint B&B in Paris. Can't wait for the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready to see a really good movie too! Your hike looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on the Looming Tower. And we were about to check out the Bill Murray movie, and now we won't bother. Yea for voting early!! Thanks for linking up with Hello Monday! Tanya - The Other Side of the Road

    ReplyDelete