Penny's Passion: Weekending - January 14, 2022

Monday, January 17, 2022

Weekending - January 14, 2022

Happy Monday!  Many of you might be enjoying an extended weekend if Martin Luther King Day is a holiday for you.  Eric and I are both working today, but are still reflecting on the words of this great man.  


After a very slow start to the year, this weekend I feel like I finally got some of my groove back.  It was busy and fun and just what I needed to lift myself out of the funk I had fallen in.  Here's what went down ~

Friday night we had dinner at our son and daughter-in-law's house.  The favorite place for one of their cats to be in on your shoulders.  Eric's broad shoulders were his place on Friday night!


We brought dessert which was cast iron apple crisp (recipe HERE).  I baked it at their house while we were eating dinner so it was served nice and warm with a scoop of ice cream on the side.  Perfect for a cold winter night!


Saturday we woke up to a layer of snow.  Thankfully it didn't stick to the driveway or roads!  It was a low-key day full of football and puzzling.


Saturday night was girls' night and I was so excited to gather with these friends!  We have for years celebrated Christmas together after the holiday.  


We ventured to our friend Carol's house and spent hours catching up and enjoying each other's company.


Carol had concocted a special peach bellini libation for us and put out quite the spread.


We left her house with our bellies full and our minds content!  I love when you get together with friends and come away with new TV shows to watch and books to read.  When you're with true friends you can let your guard down and just be yourself without fear of judgment.  That is just what happened on Saturday night!

Sunday morning I was up early to get a few things done before we had to leave the house.  I got the Crockpot going with Olive Garden Chicken Pasta (recipe HERE) and made a loaf of strawberry bread (recipe coming later this week).  While the bread was baking, I hopped on the treadmill in hopes of closing my exercise ring.  Mission accomplished!

The bread turned out beautiful!  I was gifting it to a friend, so I popped it in a special box for the delivery.



For lunch, we plopped ourselves in front of the tv to watch the football games.  It was a perfect Sunday afternoon!


We were meeting one of our bridal couples at their venue and when we were leaving captured the most beautiful sunset!  


From the venue, we went to our friend's house to watch the Chiefs game.  It was the perfect opportunity to bust out my Nora Fleming Football charm!


We also took a sampling of Thelma's ice cream sandwiches to share.  Those things are so delicious!  By cutting them up you're able to eat more than one flavor.  We sampled chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream, chocolate chocolate chip cookies with mint ice cream, sugar cookies with strawberry ice cream, and snickerdoodle cookies with vanilla ice cream.  Seriously, if you haven't tried Thelma's Ice Cream Sandwiches, you are missing out!  In the St. Louis area, you can find them at Schnuck's.  


Thanks to the Kansas City Chiefs for the big win and for making everyone at our party happy!


Hope you have a wonderful week!  I'm hoping to keep my motivation going and finally get our Christmas decorations put away!

1 comment: