Penny's Passion: Autumn Soup Recipe Swap - Let's Make White Chili

Monday, October 22, 2018

Autumn Soup Recipe Swap - Let's Make White Chili

When the weather starts to cool down, my cooking seems to switch gears to more hearty dishes.  Soups and stews are some of my favorite things to fix because many of them can be made ahead of time and then warmed up later in the week after a long day at work.  This White Chili is one such dish!


Here's What You Need
Rotisserie Chicken
2 cans Great Northern Beans (drained)
Olive Oil
2 Medium White Onions
4 Minced Garlic Cloves
6 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups of Monterey Jack Cheese
2 - 4 oz cans Green Chilies
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Ground Cumin
Sour Cream


Here's What You Do
Chop up the two onions into fairly small bits.  Cover the bottom of your stockpot with olive oil and dump in the onions.  Saute them for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic.

Cook the onions and garlic for another 5 minutes or until the onions are clear in color.  


Add in the green chilies and spices (cumin, cayenne pepper and dried oregano).  Cook for another couple of minutes.


Add in the six cups of chicken broth and two cans of drained Great Northern Beans.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer while you cut up the chicken.


Use as much chicken as you like.  Typically I use two breasts and one leg, including the skin.  If you want yours a bit more or less meatier, add more or less to your discretion.

Right before serving, add two cups of Monterey Jack cheese and let it melt into the mixture.

To serve, I usually add a little bit of cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream.


This chili truly is even better the next day after the flavors have a chance to meld together, making it the perfect thing to fix on the weekend and have one night for dinner the following week.  Hope you enjoy it as much as do we!

Now it's time to link your favorite soup and check out everyone else's favs.  The group of gals hosting this Autumn Soup Recipe Swap are listed below.  Please make sure to visit each of their blogs!

Amber I Am - Amber
Deb's World - Deb 
Penny's Passion - Penny
Wife Mommy Me - Stephanie

8 comments:

  1. This looks great! I've never had white chili before. Question, what is group cumin? Different than regular cumin? Funny, both you and Katie did chili, great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup and could probably eat it every day for the rest of my life. This looks so good! I'm going to have to try it one day when my family gets together for a meal. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had white chili before but it sounds really tasty - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love white chili! I haven't had it in a long time though! Maybe I'll give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I like the idea of using a rotisserie chicken. That seems like a good time-saving method!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have never made nor had white chili! But I will be rectifying that shortly with your great recipe. How clever to use rotisserie chick! But that makes the chili even more flavorful. PC would be sold on this since it is loaded with MEAT and topped with cheese! His favorite foods.

    Will be pinning to make in the near future. Thank you so much for sharing and for joining me on this blogging adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fall and part of that is the return of soup season! I made a delicious tomato soup in the crockpot this week and it's been my favorite thing ever. I'm going to live off that crockpot this fall and winter! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. On a cold evening, a bowl of soup is such comfort. Thanks for linking up and sharing your recipe. Pinned! #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete