Penny's Passion: Book Review: And Then There Were None

Monday, April 1, 2019

Book Review: And Then There Were None

Last week I did something a little out of my comfort zone.  I had been wanting to join a new book club for a while and, after a bit of research, I found one at a nearby library.  They had posted their book selection was an Agatha Christie book and I got busy reading.

And Then There Were None cover

One of the reasons I love book clubs is because many times the reading selection is something I wouldn't normally pick up to read.  This was one of those times.  The title chosen for March was Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.  Even though Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time, I hadn't read a single one of her books.

If you were a fan of the PBS Great American Read List, this book came in at number 19.  They offer this summary of the book ~
Ten people, each with something to hide and something to fear, are invited to an isolated mansion on Indian Island by a host who, surprisingly, fails to appear. On the island they are cut off from everything but each other and the inescapable shadows of their own past lives. One by one, the guests share the darkest secrets of their wicked pasts. And one by one, they die...
After a brief introduction to each individual invited to the island, the book shares a poem found in each of the guest rooms ~
Ten little Soldier boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Soldier boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Soldier boys traveling in Devon;
One said he’d stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Soldier boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Soldier boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little Soldier boys going in for law;
One got into Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Soldier boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Soldier boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little Soldier boys playing with a gun;
One shot the other and then there was One.
One little Soldier boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.
Following the poem, guest by guest was found dead.  Each time I thought I had the mystery murdered figured out, that character died!  The book kept me guessing with every page turned.  Don't worry if you can't figure it out - they walk you through each murder at the very end.

It's fun finding words in books that I haven't heard in a while or used.  Here's some I found interesting in this piece of work ~

Malevolently - having or showing a wish to do evil to others
Luxuriated - enjoys oneself in a luxurious way; take self-indulgent delight
Lassitude - a state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy

Have you read And Then There Were None?  Is there another Agatha Christie book you like more than this one?  I like this one enough I can see myself revisiting it again and enjoying it just as much!


Oh, and as far as the book club goes - I truly enjoyed it and am planning on going back.  The title we're reading for April is The Librarian of Auschwitz.

6 comments:

  1. I read every Agatha Christie, love them! I am particularly found of Captain Hastings! The Librarian of Auschwitz is quite a bit heavier than an AG book, but is an excellent read. I wonder if your club does a lighter book one month followed by a more intense book the next month? My old book club did that and for summer we read longer books and shorter ones around Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for finding a book club. I have heard great things about the Barnes and Noble book club here but they meet at night and I don't like getting out at night without PC. I read The Librarian at Auschwitz several months ago. Will be interested to read your thoughts about it.

    Enjoyed your review of And Then There Were None. I haven't read Agatha Christie because the mystery genre isn't my cup of tea. But did enjoy some of John Grisham's books which aren't exactly mysteries, I guess, but another genre I don't read often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love Agatha Chrisite books, haven't read one in years, but now you have provided an incentive with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read an Agatha Christie book. I bet I'd love them. Way to go on checking out a local book club. I really need to get brave and find one around me. Thanks for linking up with Hello Monday! Tanya - The Other Side of the Road

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any of her books either! Now I may need to change that! This sounds so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah read and enjoyed it last year.

    ReplyDelete